Pad eyes for lazyjacks?

PaulGS

Visit site
In installing my own lazyjack system I'm minded to run the line on the mast through a pad eye only ('D' on a flat plate type) rather than use a block which seems the usual way. To me, a block seems overkill and likely to be noisy. Am I wrong-headed about this?

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Chaff of your lazy lines is the likely issue here.

The lines will be moving 24/7 365 days a year. The blocks reduce the potential chaff but do not remove it entirely.

There is a reason blocks are usually used I beleive

I guess you could try and use low friction rings instead of D shaped pad eyes?

Experiment and report back.

Neeves

Visit site
As Pablo said.

The lines are commonly under tension 24/7, there should be no noise (or not noticeable over the noise of the water and wind).

Our lazy jacks were attached to the underside of the spreaders not the mast.

Pad eyes usually have a flat base, masts tend to be curved. Our blocks, one on each spreader, were attached to saddles

Jonathan

scozzy

Visit site
Blocks also useful when you "drop" the lazy jacks under sail,mine come back to cockpit on single line to tiny cleat that I leave loose when under sail so as to get nice sail shape and they flap about happily out of the way, when it's time to tidy up they are back under tension in a second or two with little to no friction and sail drops in tidily,wouldn't be without them and chafe negligible

Tranona

Visit site
In installing my own lazyjack system I'm minded to run the line on the mast through a pad eye only ('D' on a flat plate type) rather than use a block which seems the usual way. To me, a block seems overkill and likely to be noisy. Am I wrong-headed about this?
You can get blocks on tangs made for the job. Will take a photo later and try to remember who makes then. They come as standard if you buy a complete stack pack kit.
Photo shows it installed. made by Seasure

Attachments

• IMG_20240823_161756.jpg
    IMG_20240823_161756.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
shopping

Neeves

Visit site
I noted that our Ladyjacks were attached to the spreaders, the lowest one, but the body of opinion/application seems to be on the mast. Was ours unusual? - or is it/was it a size thing. 38' cat 55 ^m main, fully battened. The lazy jacks routed to the underside of the spreader and through slots in the mast to a another slot near the mast base and then to a horn cleat, one on each side, for adjustment.

I friend's yacht, 50', timber hull, also had the lazy jacks routed to the spreaders, much bigger main.

We thus 'hung' the lazy jack through a bullet block, attached with a saddle to the underside of the spreader. Our lazy jacks were thus quite far apart at the top and narrowed to the boom (attached to the boom cover kept open with boom long battens). The lazy jacks being quite far apart kept wear of the sail by the lazy jacks to a minimum

We suffered battens being caught in the lazy jacks on hoisting - we had to religiously keep the sail amidships when raising and/or hoist frenetically when the battens were clear. Maybe a hazard limited to fully roached mains.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Dantp

Visit site
Our blocks got old and broke, so replaced with low friction rings (because we already had them). They work well and no noticeable extra chaff on the lazy jack lines.
They are lashed in place to saddles on the bottom of the spreaders.
Wider lazy jacks as mentioned above make hoisting a bit easier.
Some people use bungies to pull them out to the shrouds, which probably works well. But in my experience bungy cord doesn't last very long.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Lazy jacks are useful when lowering /dropping the main sail but can be a pain when raising the main sail.

I fitted an extra line so I can pull the lazy jacks to the mast for raising the main but allow the lazy jacks to move aft when I wish to lower the main to allow control of the sideways movement of the sail

Daydream believer

Visit site
Correctly set lazyjacks should only need setting up once at the start of the season and not touched again. It should not be necessary to adjust them when hoisting or dropping the sails. Neither should they affect sail trim.
Mine are hung on pullies from the spreaders. This avoids them rubbing too tightly on the sail shape when the sail is set. I prefer pullies, because I remove the lines at the end of each season and run mousing lines through. If it involved anything with a tight curve, as suggested by the OP, I would be worried that they might snag.when reeving. Also wear on light mousing lines might mean one breaking and a trip up the mast to replace. The pullies at the top take most of the weight, so it stands to reason that this part needs protection from chafe. If the spreaders are not up to it then perhaps one might look at the spreader design

Last edited:

peter gibbs

Visit site
I've valued having a small block on each side of the mast in my rig, allowing easy raising and lowering for winter storage etc.Worth the small extra expense.

Boathook

Visit site
You can get blocks on tangs made for the job. Will take a photo later and try to remember who makes then. They come as standard if you buy a complete stack pack kit.
Photo shows it installed. made by Seasure
I've go something like that on my mast for the lazy jacks. Where they split to spread over the length of the boom the lines go through nylon thimbles as they don't actually have to move much.