Packing sterngland

lumphammer

Visit site
I have two issues repacking my sterngland. The first is I am following the method of wrapping the packing tightly round the prop shaft and cutting at an an angle of 45 deg. Perhaps I don't have it tight enough but because of the spiral none of the pieces fit tightly round the shaft when brought together, so I end up trimming off some extra to give a good fit.
Is that normal?
The second more important problem is that I'm having real difficulty in getting the packing into the housing. I have measured the inside dimension of the housing at 2in and the propshaft at 1 1/4 so I've got 3/8 packing.
(Because of the location of the sterngland the inside dimension is my best measurement. I can't get the calipers in to do it accurately)
I've only managed to get one piece in so far by flattening it out with a roller and using the collar to push it in.
Should they be that hard to insert? If I go to 5/16 will that expand outwards to take up the space as I tighten up the collar?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

PS. My sterngland has a collar that slides onto two studs and is tightened down by a couple of nuts

PPS No - I can't fit a Volvo gland. The sterntube is too big

Spyro

Visit site
If your measurements are correct 3/8 should be a perfect fit.
2-1.25= 0.75

0.75/2 = 0.375.

3/8= 0.375

I would go for flattening it a bit, make sure there is no gap where the rings meet and the joins are offset by 90 degrees.
I had a similar problem when I repacked mine last year One size was too small one too big. I went for the bigger one and flattened it with a hammer before fitting. I didn't have a problem and it meant not having to crank up the nuts too tightly.
I used some grease between each ring to take up and spaces.
Expect to need some adjustment for the first few hours running as it beds in. keep checking for the gland getting too hot or too much water getting in.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Did you not count the old rings as you took them out?
I assume you are 100% sure you have got ALL the old rings out!

Very surprised you can get only one new one in,you should be able to get at least 2/3 in normally.

If you cut at 45 Deg that should be ok as the second ring should be put in with the joint opposite the first joint and so on, by the time you have filled up with grease it will seal.

As said above I find I usual have to adjust the tightness of the main nuts twice to optain the best seal, mine run warm (not hot) but I do not get any drips at all.

Hope this helps
Mike

lumphammer

Visit site
Did you not count the old rings as you took them out?
I assume you are 100% sure you have got ALL the old rings out!

Very surprised you can get only one new one in,you should be able to get at least 2/3 in normally.
All the rings are out, only got one in so far because of effort involved. I think I might have been a bit delicate with them, I will try with the hammer tomorrow.