Overwinter ashore Olbia / Sardinia?

hoped4

Visit site
Due to a change in plan we may need to over winter in Olbia ashore in Sardinia. I would welcome any comments from those who have done this on recommended / not recommended yards. We expect to arrive in 2-3 weeks from Corsica. I don't think we will have time to get further south to Cagliari, and may decide to leave visiting Maddalena until beginning of next season. Any other suggestions for North Sardinia also welcome. Thanks.

daleboutm

Visit site
Only a day trip further South from Olbia: Arbatax. Not expensive and safe on the hard. It is a yard but I do not remember the name of the yard. However It wil easy to find on Google and Google earth.

santelmo

Visit site
There is a marina just to the north of Arbatax called Santa Maria Navarrese I dont know about on the hard but they do offer a very attractive winter deal. They have a website

Takamoana

Visit site
We had an excellent experience in 2015-16 with Umberto in Arbatax, E-mail: reiultasrl at gmail.com. Can supply most services but also happy for you to do any work you wish. We stayed onboard for a couple of days after haul out and before splashing - basic toilet and showers but ok. Ferry service to Rome (Civitavecchia) twice a week. Not much English spoken but google translate more than adequate.

macd

Visit site
There is a marina just to the north of Arbatax called Santa Maria Navarrese I dont know about on the hard but they do offer a very attractive winter deal.

We were there a couple of years ago. Pleasant spot with helpful staff, but the town is small with far fewer facilities than Arbatax. From memory, the hard standing is somewhat limited. Some of it is also directly under cliffs popular with local climbers, so you might return to find more than the usual detritus on your decks...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Having spent a season berthed in Olbia I wouldnt recommend any of the yards there. The whole place is geared up to ripping off the rich boat owners who flock to the Costa Smerelda in summer. I know you said you wouldnt go south to Cagliari but FWIW after Olbia we spent 2 seasons in Carloforte and found this yard to be excellent http://www.sacirn.it/ Ask for Andrea Cossu

Peroo

Visit site
We were in Navaresse this year - a nice place with good facilities and some good shore based engineering with reasonable english spoken. A fair walk to the supermarkets.
Spent 5 days in Arbatax, some 3 miles to the south - good lifting and hard standing, though English in short supply. A good three miles from a good supermarket, but there is a bus service. YES were playing this year at an annual festival - yes, I know.
One of the marina ladies speaks good English and will translate for you if necessary., if you need an engineer.
Expensive in July/August. Rates for a 45 yacht in august (we had to call in for a gearbox issue) were about 150Euros per day. Have an unusual approach to potable water. Entertaining watching the Italians come in for the night!
PM if need more info.

hoped4

Visit site
Thanks interesting suggestions regarding Arbatax and Navaresse which I will check out. I have a good in water quote for Olbia but am waiting on out of water quotes and will tread carefully regarding yards in Olbia as we do need some gel coat/fibreglass work done. Olbia looks good for Gatwick flights which suit us but having the boat in the 'right' marina/yard is more important than an convenient journey back to UK. Am also considering Bosa on the west coast but it's a bit off our preferred route. Any more suggestions welcome ...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Thanks interesting suggestions regarding Arbatax and Navaresse which I will check out. I have a good in water quote for Olbia but am waiting on out of water quotes and will tread carefully regarding yards in Olbia as we do need some gel coat/fibreglass work done. Olbia looks good for Gatwick flights which suit us but having the boat in the 'right' marina/yard is more important than an convenient journey back to UK. Am also considering Bosa on the west coast but it's a bit off our preferred route. Any more suggestions welcome ...

Marina di Olbia is a decent marina, very clean, friendly staff, far better than average loos, a bar and that's about it. There's a fair-sized 'mall' type place (Auchan) about half a mile away, but you'll need taxis or a hire car to get into Olbia. That's a nice enough town with at least one excellent restaurant (I was only there for two nights and on the other I ate at a fab seafood place a few miles South). No on site repair or lift facilities.

Apologies for the thread revival - it came up in my search for Mapism's report on Sardinia. Answered then thought to check the date....

Bosa is a much nicer town, but again, the marina is a bit more than a casual walk away. We found a few reasonable places to eat near the old fountain, there's a slightly out-of-town supermarket, a hardware store that sadly only deals in cheap Chinese tools and the marina chandlery is a bit lacking, so we found Amazon Prime to be the answer to a lot of problems. Full facilities available in the yard. I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't rush back, but it could be because a mate's boat was there for years and we're just back from nine days work to get it launched and round to Olbia, and that may have a bearing on my view.

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
1 year on What a load of dosh!!!!!! Look at the date of OP FFS!!!!

I don't think any of it was tosh - I got back from Olbia yesterday, and was in Bosa a week ago, so I don't think much will have changed.

I apologise profusely for sloppy editing and putting my first apology in the middle of the post through not scrolling down far enough. I further apologise for not putting it in a much larger font so that those with poor reading skills wouldn't miss it.

You could start by apologising for the overuse of exclamation marks, random capitalisation, incorrect spelling and the missing 'the'.

Have a nice day.

hoped4

Visit site
For the record, (as the OP) , we (the boat) overwintered at Bosa Nautica Pinna. Very professional and friendly yard. They did some good work for us and we did our own antifouling anodes etc. Loved Bosa, and would definitely go back again for the winter. Highly recommended.

Last edited: