Outboard - Most suitable size?

Bald_Dad

Visit site
The background - so we sailed our newly aquired (first) boat to Milport and moored. We inflated our new 2.7m tender and we (me, SHMBO, daughter and hound) rowed ashore. An excellent first trip. Then after a pleasant hour ashore we tried rowing back against a much increased easterly wind only to eventually give up. The rest is a long harrowing story. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So then, outboard motor has risen to top of the shopping list. Any advice please on what size to go for. I have been advised that 2.5hp will be sufficient but had it in my head that 4hp was what I needed. Obviously there are weight advantages to the smaller engine but I don't want the power to be marginal. Intended use is limited to ferrying between moorings/anchorages and shore, 3 people plus Airedale. Views please.

cliff

Visit site
3.3/3.5 Merc/Tohatsu 2 stroke if you can get your hands on one.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
The tender will have a maximum hp rating, for the transom. My 2.4m Platimo is rated at 4hp, which is what I've got. Possibly I could have managed with the 3.3hp, but the 4hp gets it on the plane easily, so long as I shift my weight forward (then it's fun,hairy, but fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and is perfectly happy moving it along with 3 adults.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
my merc 2.2 drives my inflatable fast enough to force us to slow down if we wish to keep dry.

It also drives my overweight hard tender without a problem, at 3/4 throttle it very much buries her ar$e. Though it is set up for the inflatable, hence digging in, but is well powerful enough for all our needs.

Using the tender as a tug, tied fore and aft on the boat it will drive along happily, I have never measured this speed, but enough power to get back to the mooring if we had a problem with the main engines.

In your position I would stick to the 2.5 and try to get hold of a 2 stroke, far easier to handle, no worries about tipping it too far when man handling it from the tender to the boat. Less weight is also very important.

Plus, those honda 4 strokes sound more like a wet fart than a 2 stroke, I hate em!

FAITIRA

Visit site
Agree with Cliff, light to mount etc and plenty of chuff, but buy one now, new ones won,t be available much longer.

robmcg

Visit site
No need to go above 2.5hp. It will be much lighter to move between dinghy and yacht and will push your dinghy fully loaded with no problem. I have a Mariner 2.5 2 stroke that pushes a very full dinghy every weekend through a 2+ knot tide. I have only ever got to half throttle, any more and Iwould start to get wet! No need for 4hp on a flat bottomed inflatable dinghy as you wont really use the extra power but will have to put up with the extra weight.

chamac

Visit site
Agree with cliff. After doing the research, got a new 2 stroke 3.3 Mariner on Saturday (same as the 3.5 Tohatsu and 3.3 Mercury) Its only 13 Kgs. So light I can lift it over my head with one hand. It has a neutral and forward that I don't think the 2.5 has. This is a very handy feature. I hear the 2 stroke ones are being phased out due to emission issues. I rather 2 strokes in smaller outboards.

srp

Visit site
Another vote for the Tohatsu 3.5 - the fwd/neutral shift was the deciding factor for me, coupled with the fact that it's just man enough to use on the Corribee if I really have to. Getting the cover off is a bit of a pain as its screwed on (the equivalent Mercury has got clips I think), but it was cheaper than the Merc.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
And another vote. The difference between 2.5 and 3.5 is well worth having and the gearbox is invaluable. Weight difference between the engines is very little but the gearbox adds some. Still a light combination though.

When lifting it from the dinghy into the boat, and vice-versa, tie a genoa sheet to it before doing anything. You can hoist it aboard if on your own, and it is always there as a security line in case anything goes wrong and it falls overboard. It's a good habit to get into, one which I have followed throughout my cruising life.

jwilson

Visit site
My 3.3 o/b lets me just plane with just me aboard on a 2.7M inflatable, and is plenty powerful enough to push it along with 2 or 3 up (though not planing). Try to get a two-stroke - far less worry about which way up you carry/store it, and the supposed eco-green reasons for having a 4-stroke are rubbish when related to a little engine that probably will burn a couple of tablespoons of oil a year mixed into half a gallon of petrol.

Bald_Dad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
After doing the research, got a new 2 stroke 3.3 Mariner on Saturday

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't realised you could still get 2 strokes new. Can I ask where you got it from?

Thanks in anticipation

m1taylor

Visit site
Hi, best thing is to look on the internet and phone around. There are definitely new 2 stokes out there, but they are running out now so be quick!

Topcat47

Visit site
The Chanel Islands are unaffected by this peice of eurolegislation. You might find one in Guernsea or Jersey.

Personally I'd ring round...I'm pretty sure the Guy in Fareham still has a couple.

chamac

Visit site
Hi Bald Dad
I bought mine in Ireland. Derg Marine in Killaloe. I don't know how we are affected by the emissions issue but I would presume its an EU thing. Maybe its old stock. They had one left when I phoned. Maybe you could try some of the Northern Ireland suppliers. They were advertising them. Their prices are slightly better and they may ship to the UK a bit cheaper.

nicka113

Visit site
I bought a 2.4m dinghy not so long ago and t came with a 2hp yamaha, it was ok but iv recently upgraded it to a new yamaha f2.5a four stroke. Its fantastic, so much more power than the 2 stroke and no messing about mixing oil.

Aja

Visit site
Try phoning the marina in Loch Lomond. They might still be doing 2-strokes. tha's where I got mine.

If not the ususal chandlers... Largs, Kip Duncans and Rhu - try Sam at Caledonian Yacht Services at Rhu - but be prepared to have the wind knocked out of your lungs when hearing the price...

Donald