outboard choice - help!

akcabedo

Visit site
I own a Boston Whaler Outrage 19 with a blown 200 hp Merc. The engine is history but I want to keep using the boat (mostly fishing). As a poor artist I can't run to a new 200 and I've been offered a new 150 two stroke for around 6,000 pounds, (Still a bit much for me), however the dealer here has a new 115 hp merc at around 4,000 pounds, will it move the hull and how well. The hull weighs about a ton, plus the engine, plus around 150 lts of fuel and a couple of ample guys on board!?
Help/advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Adrian

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian

DepSol

Visit site
Power to weight means you will lose out a little, however fuel economy should be better.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

BarryH

Visit site
There's a couple on boats and outboards .com that may be of interest to you. Theres a 175 efi mariner for around the same money. Same as the merc, just a different paint job. Hope this helps a little.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

akcabedo

Visit site
Thanks for comments. Is there some kind of fomula to work out how the hul will perform with different engines/props?

jfm

Visit site
The 115 will push it fine. Expect 33 knots flat out lightly loaded. £4000 is a very good price for that engine, if it's totally brand new. You could however get a 125 for about £4250 brand new, if you delete the fuel tank, and that would give you another knot. The 125 is the same engine, but bigger carb jets. However both those motors run the irritating 2+2 system, which means two cylinders cut in/out at about 2500rpm, so the throttle is a bit binary and it is hard/impossible to hold the boat at certain mid range speeds. This isn't a disaster, just an irritation. On the plus side, both are incredibly quiet and smooth motors, very economical, and fantastic starters. You will need a 19 inch prop imho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Dunno about a formula but how many times were you flat out with the 200?

If hardly ever then the 115 should be ok, although you might be working it harder. How old was your 200? how old is the 115? If the 200 was old and knackered then you would not have been getting the best performance from it so you might find very little difference with a newer properly running 115.

There is only one way you are going to find out. Basically if this engine is new(ish) and within your budget and you cant find anything else then give it a whirl, I reckon but the choice is still yours.

jfm

Visit site
price of \'gine 115hp merc

Dom - just to be clear, if the price is £4k the engine needs to be brand spanking new, not secondhand or ex demo or anything. Those engines are widely available brand new, from UK dealers not grey import incl VAT (I know you do not comprehend VAT!) at around £4250

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Re: price of \'gine 115hp merc

As you say I have no comprehension of VAT I also dont know how much outboards of this size are and if I was in the market for one would not be paying those prices through the contacts I have.

I think you agree though that an outboard of around that size should be ok.

akcabedo

Visit site
Re: price of \'gine 115hp merc

Thanks guys, the 200 was ten years old but seemed to run ok, it used to give me around31 knots flat out and loaded. The 115 is brand new and I may be able to lower the price a bit further, and your right, I don´t really need to go flat out to fish! 33 knots sounds good though!
you've all convinced me, the 115 it is. I'll get loads of paint and canvases with my savings!!
Thanks all.

jfm

Visit site
pricing

I've just seen your location - Gibraltar. £4k isn't particularly cheap, in view of the zero VAT there. It's ok, but not a once in lifetime offer. You should push the dealer to sell you a 125hp for the same money. They cost exactly the same price trade to the dealer, because they are the same engine apart from decals and carb jets. So, at least push the dealer to sell you a 125hp for the price he quoted a 115hp.

The 200hp must have been a bit knackered if 31kts top, unless you were heavily loaded - as said above I'd expect the 125hp to beat that, with a 19 prop

<hr width=100% size=1>