Outboard boom end fitting for an old Proctor boom

Tomar

Visit site
I have well and truly seized up sheaves on my outboard end of boom which make the reefing a real pain. I was wondering what the best course of action is. Ideally I would just remove the old sheaves and fit new ones but the pin that locks the sheaves in the boom end won't budge either so I am thinking of cutting the entire boom end off, remove the old outboard boom end fitting and fit a new one. I have enough room to do this without affecting the mainsail's but it's an old Proctor boom, any ideas where I can find one that fits the old Proctor boom? Picture attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• Boom_outboard_Proctor.png
    Boom_outboard_Proctor.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 9

Pye_End

Visit site
If you drill out the rivets the fitting should come off the end of the boom. You can soak in hot water or whatever and put it on a bench to hit or squeeze. Otherwise take the boom off at the gooseneck and do similar.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I have read that Ammonia will dissolve Aluminium Oxide, so if you take the end off and soak it...

I tried it, but either it doesn't work or the few minutes I could wait weren't long enough. You've reminded me that the job still needs doing.

Egbod

Visit site
I have freed off seized pulleys with ACF 50. It is available as a spray can. on one occasion a pulley went from locked to free spinning after a couple of days soaking.

dunedin

Visit site
I would go along with the ideas of dipping the boom end in hot/boiling water for a while then using other sprays to help unseize.
But if want a replacement end fitting try a Selden stockist, as Selden took over Proctor and a lot of these booms still about

Boathook

Visit site
If you drill out the rivets the fitting should come off the end of the boom. You can soak in hot water or whatever and put it on a bench to hit or squeeze. Otherwise take the boom off at the gooseneck and do similar.

Would be my way of tackling this problem as well. You may be able to get a thin blade in down the side of the pulleys that may help as well.

Other threads that may be of interest