Ormiston Wire Splicer?

lw395

Visit site
I have the normal version, I use it up to 4mm flexible wire.
It only crimps part of the ferrule at a time on 4mm.
I think you would need a different concept to reliably get full strength in a 5mm 1x19.
I did a test piece on 3mm and that broke the wire first. But 5mm is more than twice the break strength of 3mm.
TBh I'd take it to the man if it needs to be 5mm.

Concerto

Visit site
If you need new standing rigging, I would try S3i for their made to order wire rope assemblies.
https://www.s3i.co.uk/wire_rope_assemblies.php
I am currently going to be using them for new lifelines. I had planned to use swageless connectors, but after chatting with them they suggested getting swaged sets made up as it was cheaper and better. They have been recommended elsewhere on this forum.

Dougal

Visit site
Trouble is, I'm on the boat in France. Just bought a 2nd hand mast, complete with pretty good rigging, only it's too long. It currently has eye's (with s/s hard eyes) on both ends. Plan was to cut off eye's on one end and simply re eye with the tool. Guess I'll maybe have to find somewhere to do it for me?

lw395

Visit site
Trouble is, I'm on the boat in France. Just bought a 2nd hand mast, complete with pretty good rigging, only it's too long. It currently has eye's (with s/s hard eyes) on both ends. Plan was to cut off eye's on one end and simply re eye with the tool. Guess I'll maybe have to find somewhere to do it for me?

If you were in the Solent area, there would be a choice of men with vans to come and do the job.
Or you could take the rigging to a shop.
There must be such useful people in France, or do they just sell onions?

To make good hard eyes that I'd trust for standing rigging, you need to be working on a decent bench IMHO.
4mm is tough to handle, 5mm is serious.

Dougal

Visit site
If you were in the Solent area, there would be a choice of men with vans to come and do the job.
Or you could take the rigging to a shop.
There must be such useful people in France, or do they just sell onions?

To make good hard eyes that I'd trust for standing rigging, you need to be working on a decent bench IMHO.
4mm is tough to handle, 5mm is serious.

Where I am based in Brittany, it seems there are very few riggers and swaging facilities. Those there are, have the market SERIOUSLY sewn up, and charge exorbitent prices (compered to the UK). Quite right though... 5mm is too much to try myself.

Daydream believer

Visit site

Tie a knot in it, that should shorten it a bit :encouragement: