Orford Island Yacht

Aquaboy

Visit site
Rudder broken and not fitted with an engine tho' there is an outboard bracket The anchor has been well dug in up on the top of the beach. Filling with shingle, port side is pretty buried.

Jan Harber

Visit site
Sad.......
(this may have been mentioned somewhere else but can't find anything)View attachment 156817View attachment 156818
As far as I can make out from the list of Aldeburgh Lifeboat call-outs, a Mayday was received from this yacht on the evening of April 1st. The lifeboat attended and took off the crew (doesn’t say how many but it looks like a one-off singlehander). Wind and sea state were such that yacht had to be abandoned.
Another call was received next day, April 2nd by which time the yacht was on the shingle and again had to be left owing to the sea state.
Nearly two months later and she looks to be hard and fast on Orfordness, in an almost inaccessible location unless you are on a National Trust visit from Orford. Not sure how and when these photos were taken? Or how and when she might be recovered.

tony_lavelle

Visit site
Sakura looks like a Contessa 26 heavily modified (recently I suspect) for single-handed blue water sailing with a junk rig and blanked off windows, plus wind vane and viewing dome. The Junk Rig Association may have details. I reckon she could get off the shingle with a high tide and a lot of shovelling.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Why would someone saw the mast off? Not an easy thing to carry home, surely?
Nice clear grain douglas fir or spruce, a piece that size is four figures, although the fact no effort appears to have been made to remove it from the hull suggests someone just after firewood or a souvenir. I'd tow it with a dinghy and outboard to somewhere I can get a vehicle on the beach.

Aquaboy

Visit site
The spit is pretty narrow at this point, easy walk over from the river on one of the.... errr ....sort of established fishermens paths. Between high and low water where the yacht sits it is of cause crown property.