Ore and Deben entrance

CliveG

Visit site
Not sure about the ore but there is about 0.6m of water over the Deben Bar at chart datum.
If there is any strength in the wind and any East element don't try to enter on the ebb.
You would find it very bumpy.
Best time is in the top half of the flood.
You will be surprised at the speed of the flow through Felixstowe Ferry.
We have seen up to 4 knots though there at springs.
Exit is best soon after the Ebb has started.

The first moorings you will find is Felixtowe Ferry / Bawdsey.
About 1.5 miles up river is Ramsholt.
With a nice pub ashore.
If you want the stop here make sure you see George the Harbour Master.
On a nice day you will find him on his small yacht on a mooring near the Quay.
Mention myself or Roger W (Sailorman) and he will more than likely sort you a mooring for the night.
Just see him right in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Upriver from Ramsholt is The Rocks with a good anchorage off a sandy beach.
There is even better holding on the other side of the main channel.
There are no facilities here but it is a nice spot.
The up river end of the beach is good for drying out for a tide if you feel like doing that.

Have a good trip

Marmalade

Visit site
Clive - what's an appropriate amount / currency to see George right - wouldn't want to embarrass either myself or him by offering too much / little...

Simon

CliveG

Visit site
When George has been helpful.
- bailing out the dinghy after heavy rain whilst we are away.
- fetching the dinghy back when someone did not secure it properly /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
and other such things I would normally slip him a 10.

I am sure that Sailorman will be along soon to give better guidance.

MrCramp

Visit site
A number of us have had moorings at Ramsholt since 2000 and when friends visit and use a mooring they normally give £5 a night. Have been known to stay 7/10 days during summer if the Ramsholt Arms have the football on TV in the marque so the bill can mount up!

MrCramp

Visit site
At Ramsholt the mooring rights are held by the mooring association but the actual tackle belongs to each mooring holder. The rules state that moorings cannot be sublet but the scheme works because people act properly and treat George with all due respect to his authority as Harbour Master.

If one plays by the rules Gearge is very helpfull but he will not tolerate anyone who just tries to skank onto moorings or abuse the facilities.

Yes it is like going back 50years, and long may it remain like that.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
I had no idea that this back-hander ritual was in force.

If George's boat is in sight when I arrive at Ramsholt, I motor over and wait patiently until he directs me to a mooring. I have never gone looking for him in the morning to offer payment. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Which makes me wonder if I've ever paid? Oops! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MrCramp

Visit site
I think "back-hander" is definatelythe wrong term to use.

It is not custom to pay and it is not expected and if any payment is offered in the wrong manner (as if you were tipping the hotel porter) it will be refused. He certainly would not welcome yachts trying to get too close to his boat just to pass him some cash

It is just nice to pop alongside in your dinghy and thank George (and brother Bill if present) for his help. His opinion on the weather forcast/sea state might be sort and George likes a chat and to know where you are from and where you'r going. Ask them how their fishing is going! They have been at it for 8 years that I know of without too much luck!

The job is not well paid at all and George does it because he loves being on the water and likes the interaction with the many decent folk he meets. A fiver for him to have a drink with you and to thank him for his assistance is not a massive amount to either party but is appreciated. I think he would be unlikely to take cash offered for a mooring fee as such.

I don't think are are too many Harbour Masters like him left, the one at Brightlingsea is the only one that comes to mind.

MikeBz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Same here Bernie - stayed twice and no gratuity given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snap... I did offer to buy him a drink a few weeks ago but he said he doesn't drink! "I'd be drunk all day if I did" he said "And I have to drive home to Woodbridge". Wise words probably when your job involves sitting next to a pub all day.

Mike

Other threads that may be of interest