Order Order

zoidberg

Visit site
47485550442_4ca34d7f74_z.jpg

I've just ordered a copy.

D'you think I'm being just a tad optimistic - or wot?

laika

Visit site
I hope you got a 40% discount on the price as there is only 31 years of use left in this copy.

Arguably it's already a 96% discount on the cost of a nautical almanac every year, though presumably at the cost of extra calculation steps and loss of accuracy as the years progress past 1996...

Does of course mitigate the concern that the zombie apocalypse will inevitably affect the UKHO's publication schedule (which has been a worry for me), although that's just a cue for others to jump in and point out that GPS satellites may function far beyond their design life.

Stemar

Visit site
Cheaper than a new GPS if yours has gone titzup, but not as convenient. Hands up those who've actually used a sextant in anger in the last 10 years.

Have you got a sextant? If not, I've got a plastic one you could have to play with.

zoidberg

Visit site
Have you got a sextant? If not, I've got a plastic one you could have to play with.

I have two..... and I pretend it's 'cos I used to be into catamarans. Used to have three, but I gave the bubble sextant to the RIN for their archive.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have two..... and I pretend it's 'cos I used to be into catamarans. Used to have three, but I gave the bubble sextant to the RIN for their archive.

I have three, but that was the consequence of a misjudged attempt to rob the telescope from a WW2 Tamaya to fit it to a Plath which I acquired cheap because it had been kept as an unused spare by the German Navy without a telescope. The correct solution was to look closely at the 6x30 on my original Plath, correctly identify it as a smuggled and hence unlabelled Carl Zeiss Jena 6x30 monocular, buy one of those and get a bracket made.

I just bought this year’s Almanac - £17.70. Not too bad. At least, not when compared to the cost of an Admiralty Pilot (£63.50).

Last edited: