Orca attack

Visit site
You do, but again, we had no problem. We only day ‘sailed’ so we could always keep a lookout ahead. Daysailing also adheres to the request of the local authorities as it’s easier for the rescue services to tow a damaged boat in by day. Fortunately we didn’t have to use their services.

The several boats we heard or saw being towed in had been out in deep water. I still don’t understand why they were out there!
Perhaps coming from America.

Visit site
Different subset of the orca population. The main prey of the orcas that attack boats is Tuna. If I understand these things at all.
That is so. The attackers are Iberian orcas whose staple diet is tunny. Different pods have different diets, those in the photo could justifiably be called killer whales which does not make sense when referring to fish eaters.
I use the term tunny as does the Admiralty on its charts. It becomes tuna when canned.

Zing

Visit site
Different subset of the orca population. The main prey of the orcas that attack boats is Tuna. If I understand these things at all.
Indeed, but they are different not by design, like there are subsets of humans, vegans and carnivores who are also not fixed permanently in their habits. Orcas clearly can change, just like the tuna eating Spanish orcas learnt to bite rudders off, so they can easily adapt again to venture more into shallow areas, especially if they find their new source of fun can be found there.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Indeed, but they are different not by design, like there are subsets of humans, vegans and carnivores who are also not fixed permanently in their habits. Orcas clearly can change, just like the tuna eating Spanish orcas learnt to bite rudders off, so they can easily adapt again to venture more into shallow areas, especially if they find their new source of fun can be found there.
You have to consider what is their primary reason for being in the specific part of the water, is it to find food? Or to play with yachts and their rudders. I would suggest that the latter is incidental to the Orcas search for food which primarily is in the deeper waters so that staying in shallow water gives a much better chance of avoiding them.

billskip

Visit site
You have to consider what is their primary reason for being in the specific part of the water, is it to find food? Or to play with yachts and their rudders. I would suggest that the latter is incidental to the Orcas search for food which primarily is in the deeper waters so that staying in shallow water gives a much better chance of avoiding them.
My theory is a simple one..fishing boats have for the last many years are restricted with their catch, they ditch over the side many fish that would incur hefty fines, this the Orcas amongst others has been a very convenient source of food...now with better fishing methods or nets,(or less) the Orcas are not getting fed, so they, like your dog,cat or parrot, use a method of some sort to attract your attention....but whatever the reason I believe it will take a generation of Orca time to begin to correct nature.

Visit site
My theory is a simple one..fishing boats have for the last many years are restricted with their catch, they ditch over the side many fish that would incur hefty fines, this the Orcas amongst others has been a very convenient source of food...now with better fishing methods or nets,(or less) the Orcas are not getting fed, so they, like your dog,cat or parrot, use a method of some sort to attract your attention....but whatever the reason I believe it will take a generation of Orca time to begin to correct nature.
But they only attack yachts not fishing boats and there is no evidence that the Iberian orca eats anything but tunny.

billskip

Visit site
But they only attack yachts not fishing boats and there is no evidence that the Iberian orca eats anything but tunny.
Maybe they "attack" anything that they believe will throw food over, I think there is evidence they "attacked " other vessels. Whose saying the fishing boats didn't discard small tunny? We have seen Orcas in captivity being given a "treat" I wonder how they woud react if they were not fed.
Too much looking for evidence which will justify their behaviour that is only acceptable with evidence that we agree with.
Of course all imho.

Star-Lord

Visit site
If you look at orcas.pt website they give up to date reports as you probably already know. You can clearly see from the data and charts provided which months have greater risks in which areas if you look at the historic data maps. Click on the "Maps" section, top left on first page.
orcas.pt - Orcas / Sailing boats in Portugal and Spain
For calculating we also need to know number of yachts on passage each month and the numbers of day sailors attacked compared to longer trips.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Not so in all areas, the tuna nets off Spain and Portugal are in fairly shallow waters generally < 20 metres and in some cases such as Barbate, very close to shore.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
Straights of Gibraltar (The pillars of Hercules) are safer on the starboard going into the med (port out). Orcas seen (attacked I think) in Scilly Isles and recently in Shetland.

greeny

Visit site
3 more attacks over the last couple of days. All in the high risk zone off Barbate. 2 boats damaged, one got away with it. Why do they insist in going right through the centre of the high risk zone. Is it ignorance of the danger or a "it won't happen to me" syndrome? Lots of work going on to identify the risk areas and recommended routes but people still sail through them.

SaltIre

Visit site
3 more attacks over the last couple of days. All in the high risk zone off Barbate. 2 boats damaged, one got away with it. Why do they insist in going right through the centre of the high risk zone. Is it ignorance of the danger or a "it won't happen to me" syndrome? Lots of work going on to identify the risk areas and recommended routes but people still sail through them.
I wonder how their insurance company will respond...