Opinions on Zakynthos Please

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I've got a delivery coming-up to somewhere on Greece's Ionian coast and I'm doing some research of where might be a good place to leave his boat. Good flight connections are a must.

Just wondered whether any of you have experience of the marina at Zakynthos? Looks ideal on paper. Other recommendations welcome.....

TIA

JFowler

Visit site
I think you’ll find it’s a town quay, rebranded Marina, so they can charge more! That’s becoming increasingly common. No mooring lines or security.
At Argostoli, Kefelonia, there’s an ‘unfinished’ Marina, which is free. Side to mooring but no security or other facilities. It is however sheltered.
Otherwise your looking at Lefkas or Preveza which have marinas with all facilities, at a price.

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
I've got a delivery coming-up to somewhere on Greece's Ionian coast and I'm doing some research of where might be a good place to leave his boat. Good flight connections are a must.

Just wondered whether any of you have experience of the marina at Zakynthos? Looks ideal on paper. Other recommendations welcome.....

TIA

You have to find a place with lazy lines installed. Generally this means an actual marina, as opposed to a town quay, and they are not cheap. I haven't been to Zakynthos, but Preveza or Lefkada marina would be good spots. A bit further away, but cheaper, would be Mesologi.

At any place without lazy lines you'd have to leave the boat med moored, with just the anchor keeping it away from the wall. The very real risk is that a neighbouring boat will get its anchor tangled with yours and unset it in any attempt to untangle the mess. Given how busy the Ionian gets, it is a near certainty that this will happen if the boat is left anywhere for any length of time.

Personally, I'd never leave my boat at anchor in a town quay unattended for more than a day, unless I knew for a fact that both of my neighbours aren't planning on leaving. Even so, in some ports I've seen boats that manage to collect the anchors of their neighbours three boats away.