onboard PC vs chartplotter

lurob

Visit site
We are still at the planning stage for long-term cruising but will have to make a decision soon regarding electronic navigation. HWTHSBO reckons that a laptop PC linked to a GPS is that way to go, largely due to cost of C-MAP cartridges. I, on the other hand, think that a chartplotter would be preferable rather than rely on a computer, which may 'crash', will be unhappy in a marine environment, is difficult to stow securely whilst in use, particularly under difficult passage conditions and draws alot of power. Any comments/experiences/suggestions welcome to help us resolve this before we reach the divorce courts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Both

I use a chartplotter for all navigational purposes, and have done for the past 10 years or so. The latest versions have superb functionality, robustness and speed, way in excess of anything a PC can offer. I use a laptop for weatherfax and a number of other purposes, including back-up charts of the whole world that cost me nothing. I have tried using the laptop on the chart table, where it was completely useless due to the reasons that you mention. So now it remains stowed in a locker until we are in port.

I would suggest that the answer probably depends on the boat. For a motor boat, large motor sailer or similar, the problems of installing and keeping dry a PC may be overcome relatively easily. On a sailing yacht, unless perhaps a very large one, they may not.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I have researched this thoroughly. I have a Navman 5500 plotter with CMap ctgs. This is sited near helm position and is the best thing since sliced bread. I plan to goUK/AUS in abt 4 yrs and this will take abt 12 superwide ctgs, but you dont need to buy 12. I had intended to buy 2 and then upgrade on an area basis (cost same as buying chart correction). This is the only method at the moment. I had also intended to buy a CD at the same time for planning (cost of CD also much reduced for same area as ctg) . However C Map are about to vastly improve their system. If you have the CD/ctg set up, they are considering email chart corrections, email approval for opening of new areas on the CD (i.e. rental for each area as you go through it), and the ability to burn the new data onto a plotter ctg. Thus you can run your waterproof plotter all the time with the latest charts and corrections at very small energy budget, plus having the laptop available for passage planning on a bigger display, without the energy overhead from the laptop (more energy used than a good fridge and freezer). IMHO this requires a higher expenditure to set up, but is much better in the long term because you have lower energy budget, and electronic navigation redundancy (I will have the laptop connected to my alternative GPS) - suggest you look at the US C-Map forum where my original post is promulgated plus the response from C-Map. (Well done C-Map)

<hr width=100% size=1>

SydneyTim

Visit site
I'm struggling with the same thing at the moment planning a few years up and down the Australian east coast and then heading for the Pacific.

My thinking at the moment is bets summarised as:

Paper charts and GPS - cheap, once the waypoints are set up it's easy but setting them up a pain, can swap with other cruisers, can navigate if the electrics die, far greater risk of not having the appropriate chart for the area unless I spend heaps on charts.

Chartplotter - expensive, but I have a little boat on a screen and save all that potential error with my pencil and time below decks doing it when I should be on watch. Unless mounted on deck next to the wheel how do you navigate in tricky areas, ie setting up transits in advance and all that. If on deck, it doesn't last as long (UV a huge issue here) and you neeed to do all your voyage planning in the cockpit

PC - planning easier due to big screen, charts of AUS aren't free so your up for C Map style prices, but it will break very quickly due to the moisture and even if you can conceivably find a dry place, how do you navigate in tight spots.

The navigating in tight spots issue is solved by having all the paper charts on board, but then why spend all the extra money on the electronic ones if all they do is allow you to input waypoints more easily into your GPS and save yourself the time to do a plot.

Plus call me old fashioned I like to cross check my GPS plot by a bearing or two anyway, and that's a pain with a plotter.

I guess part of the clarity I need is why cough up for an electronic system at all and then if that's convincing enough then I can't see how a PC is an option as surely the electronic chart display needs to be in the cockpit?

I have basically been debating this in my head for about three weeks now and I'm no nearer the answer!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

neutronstar

Visit site
I thought about (and saved for) this for about eight years, cos I don't have much cash !

I have a steel sloop.

I finally did this:

Looked in Micro Mart and got three DEL Laptops that were top of the range about two or three years ago, for £375 each, plus two 12volt invertors.

Got Charworx software (the cheapest), and made a polycarbonate vertical holder for one laptop that made it viewable from the binacle. (inside the cabin of course but with so big a screen its OK.) I have cut-outs for the buttons etc. and the GPS is loaded on a bracket a 'finger swing' down from the space bar.

I now have totally replaceable batteries, CD & Hard Drives (as the DEL is made that way) and I have a spare laptop, plus a unit to canabalise over the years. Putting them in for repair is a no go area. (Unless you work as a consultant or a doctor or similar). They are very easy to repair as they consist of a few units screwed together.

The system works very well but I have not done an Atlantic crossing so I don't know how well the hard drive stands up to a pounding. The only bad thing was dealing with the local NHO agent. They are not very helpful and the encryption system is very awkward to use. They even gave me the wrong CD at one point and were incapable of answering any detailed questions.

I hope this helps,

in summary: secondhand / loads of spare back-up / correctly mounted and find a software supplier who dosn't think he's James Bond.

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
We looked into this about 4 years ago and decided on a C-map system with a repeater in the cockpit. This has served us well and we found passage planning very easy. We now have c-map charts for Atlantic europe, MED and Across the pond anthough we still have and ALWAYS use the paper charts alongside.

However due to some problems the chart plotter repeater needs replacing - we broke it! We have used several other types of plotter on various deliveries as well as on-board laptops.

So we had a look again. when we com to do the next NAV refit will replace the plotter system with a laptop. These are relatively in-expensive and we need one onboard for e-mail, letter writing etc anyway. You can get a laptop that will more than do the job for under GBP500 these days. Most prople buy a big powerfull laptop when all they need is lots of disk space and a modest amount of computing power.

We looked at the different software on the market and have decided on the RAYMARINE 'RayTech' system as we can expand this to do other tasks as well.

I think it's a very individual choice and there is not one 'correct' answer. You just have to make up which set of compromises is the best for you. probably much the same as the resto of the boat. Unless you can have both?

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK