old windsor lock

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
does anyone know if old windsor lock is still shut for repairs. We should be taking ownership of our first boat within the next few weeks. Will keep it at Penton Hook until we get comfortable driving it, then we plan on taking it up to Bray to its new home.
As far as I can see, its only old windsor lock that might be a problem.

rr_123

Visit site
are you going to share what sort of boat you've bought [thought]do you "buy" a boat or do you just make an agreement to keep spending money ...[/thought]

Seem to remember you were a bit reticent until after the survey before!

jecuk

Visit site
And after yesterday, my only suggestion is that you do not try to go up through the locks at night after the lock keepers have gone home when some are on manual operation. That would be silly to try in a boat you have just bought.

Oh, and when you check the boat out, test the searchlight.....

Speaking hypothetically of course.

teddington_lock

Visit site
Yes, don't try and go through Old Windsor Lock when it has no gates on , even after the lock keeper has gone home ...

You'll be winding for ages .... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jecuk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And after yesterday, .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.....have I missed somethiing???

[/ QUOTE ]

Only my debut Thames river journey.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Must admit that we are very nervous about doing this trip! Complete novices to boating, so we wont be leaving penton hook for bray until we are really confident (so that would be summer 2010 then!) - is it okay to stay in the marina for the first year of owning a boat?

Gavi

Visit site
We were nervous when we started out too. So on the advice of the forum, SWMBO and I spent a day at Bisham Abbey . We did the practical boat handling course and it taught us enough to get going - effectively taking us to a point where at least we knew the theory of how to do it! That took away a lot of stress and, indeed, made the growing experience of boating even more enjoyable.

Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sidney

Visit site
We can totally empathise. Took ownership of our first boat last November which is also moored at Penton Hook. Due to the recent poor weather and acknowledging our lack of experience we have so far stayed put most of the time. When we have ventured out (only in near perfect conditions) we are the ones who appear on a collision course with trees, the bank, other boats every time we pass through the strong tidal streams flowing over the weirs coming out of Penton at the moment! Locks are also a bit of a challenge. However, have to say that yesterday was one of the better experiences and no one may have guessed it was the same crew who normally career with the current! Seriously, we have also done courses with Bisham and cannot recommend them highly enough. We are definitely taking every manoevure slowly and carefully. Our intention is to get all the practice and manouvres well in hand before the experienced boaters return in the Spring. If you are moving in to Penton pm, or look us up. Best wishes

jecuk

Visit site
Although new to the Thames and motorboats, I have sailed a lot. The challenge is to plan ahead and think about what the current will do to you. For example, last night, we needed to turn around in the dark at Chertsey, then do it again. This is slow even with twin screws. You need to make sure you have room downstream to execute the maneuver.

And locks seem to just need care and slow speed to handle. And have a plan before going in.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and when you check the boat out, test the searchlight.....

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had my way I would ban searchlights on boats until people take a test.

Doolittle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For example, last night, we needed to turn around in the dark at Chertsey, then do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see my curtains twitch? I did wonder who was out in the dark, especially as the river is still running at 3 to 4 knots.