Old Windsor Lock - boat fire

ms1

Visit site
Lock closed Saturday for several hours due to boat fire. Couple with 2 children said to be safe. Five fire appliances in attendance. Boat burnt out down to waterline plus some damage to boat behind. Explosion occured and blew out all windows as boat started engines to leave full lock. Boat beside the stricken craft made it to safety by barreling out of the open lock gates at speed.
This info second hand so may not be totally accurate.
Word on the river was that no-one was hurt which, hopefully, is true.
some more info here
http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-10943-boat-fire-at-old-windsor-lock/

teddington_lock

Visit site
Photo courtesy of M Wilson - OWL .

Oldwindsorfire.jpg

No Regrets

Visit site
A Birchwood 22, so would have been either LPG leak/ Cooker left on unlit, or a fuel leak from the Ford Watermota engine.

Sounds like fuel vapour in engine bay, so unlikely to have had his engine fan constantly running whilst in the lock, or having a gas warning system fitted.

A lesson to all boaters with Petrol engines or LPG!

Me included...

I used to check the Birchwood, whilst running, with the floor panel out, to make sure everything was OK before each cruise, and turn the gas off and engine fan on before departing, but I don't suppose even that would have covered every eventuality. I'm so glad nobody was hurt.

Top marks to all the Lock crew and Boat owners involved in ensuring this was just a Fire, not a terrible tragedy , and one in the eye for the Governments 2008 plans eh?

Ramage

Visit site
It was lunchtime... perhaps the flame blew out on the hob, then the gas ignited from a spark on engine start?

This is exactly why I searched high & low for a DIESEL powered Birchwood.

Very glad all survived, sorry that the man had flashburns. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Simonbb2009

Visit site
It was my boat in the incident and i would also like to thank the great work and effort from the lock keeper at OWL and his wife along with the Fire Brigade and Environment agency.

Certainly will not be buying petrol again as OWL said a similar incident happened and Romney Lock with the same Birchwood 22.

oldgit

Visit site
Hi Simon,and welcome to the forum.Hope you get everything sorted and get back boating ASAP after your "little" event.
They are a good bunch on here and it will be well worth your while to become an established forumite,esp. for the help and wealth of Thames based knowledge available hidden beneath many grumpy exteriors if you dig deep enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simonbb2009

Visit site
Thanks oldgit and guy's

Yes a tad scary, but as you say everyone was o.k. the kids were on the front of the boat when she exploded, which is a god send.

Keen to get back on the water, as we certainly have the bug. so hopefully will be a regular on here.

S.