Old Time Motor Boat

Gustywinds

Visit site
My brother sent me this picture, which was taken 55 years go this month, of my first time on a motor cruiser. I wonder if anybody knows what is unusual about the boat?005 Inish Fovar at Belleek Pottery July 1969.jpg

Dino

Visit site
Yes, they were some of the early hire cruisers on the River Shannon. The two boats with the brown wooden superstructures are also Ferro Cement. These were the predecessors to Emerald Star
IMG_0272.jpeg

Gustywinds

Visit site
Yes, they were some of the early hire cruisers on the River Shannon. The two boats with the brown wooden superstructures are also Ferro Cement. These were the predecessors to Emerald Star
View attachment 180178
What a lovely period postcard. The boat nearest the camera is very similar to the ones hired by a company called Erne Marine based at Bellaneleck. It was fibreglass. We had one of them in later years. At that time the connection between the Erne and Shannon wasn't opened up. A lovely part of the world.

oldgit

Visit site
They even built small coasters out of concrete at the beginning of the last century.
Violette | National Historic Ships, they were not a commercial success,h elped tow this one into Hoo in the 1960s.
Many concrete lighters were also built, most of their hulls have stood the test of time far better than their steel counterparts.