OLD EPIRB

greeny

Visit site
Just a reminder. If you do chuck it, it may be best you remove the battery first and dispose of it separately. Don't want Air Sea Rescue hovering over the local tip. :) Assuming your tiny island in the Carribean has Air sea rescue.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
This is a piece of equipment that is meant for you to contact rescuers to save your life.

OK so that EPIRB above is going in the bin.
Yes I shall disconnect the battery just incase.
Is there a correct/recommended way to dispose of an EPIRB?

But what point do you dispose of an EPIRB?

SaltIre

Visit site
This is a piece of equipment that is meant for you to contact rescuers to save your life.

OK so that EPIRB above is going in the bin.
Yes I shall disconnect the battery just incase.
Is there a correct/recommended way to dispose of an EPIRB?

But what point do you dispose of an EPIRB?

How do I find out i) that it is registered and ii) where is that database?
Might the manufacturer be in a better place to advise than us?
www.acrelectronics.com is in the image you posted...

"Contact Us" seems to be Support - ACR Electronics, Inc

B27

Visit site
Sometimes, people can get a trade-in deal with ancient EPIRBs, because they are keen to see old ones scrapped properly.
If anyone you know is in the market for a new one, it might be worth enquiring.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I have just retired one mid June, the battery needed replacement and it was simply not economic to change and we had another one in the boat we purchased, both were registered on the register with the MCA not Offcom. I rang them up told them the battery had been separated and recycled and I had torn the ariel off, they took the HEX ID number and noted on the records it was defunct and being scrapped. They will delete it from the records, they did say lots of people take them to their local dump and some do get activated and then Police/Coastguard have to respond to that...

So here is the number 020 3817 2006 it is a huge department, 3 ladies 2 of which I think are part time, but they will be glad to hear from you (y)

SaltIre

Visit site
I have just retired one mid June, the battery needed replacement and it was simply not economic to change and we had another one in the boat we purchased, both were registered on the register with the MCA not Offcom. I rang them up told them the battery had been separated and recycled and I had torn the ariel off, they took the HEX ID number and noted on the records it was defunct and being scrapped. They will delete it from the records, they did say lots of people take them to their local dump and some do get activated and then Police/Coastguard have to respond to that...

So here is the number 020 3817 2006 it is a huge department, 3 ladies 2 of which I think are part time, but they will be glad to hear from you (y)
Presumably +44 20 3817 2006 for the OP enquiring about his EPIRB in St Kitts.

William_H

Visit site
I t does appear to be the digital talk to satelite type which will be registered to a local authority. It would still be a useful EPIRB if it had a new battery.
However most new EPIRB now have a GPS installed which can pinpoint your location to 100m or so. So far better for you and rescuers. Indeed these GPS types becoming mandatory here in west oz. So just on that basis ave a noo one. ol'will (and register it)

Daydream believer

Visit site
When mine became old, Sartec gave me a discount on a new one, for disabling the old one. I sent them a picture of it smashed & they accepted that.
At the time they also registered it on my behalf, so I had nothing to do. It was all part of a special deal. No idea if that still stands.
One has to be careful changing the battery oneself as it seems that they can go out of sync in some way. I sent my first one for service during its life & they re armed it & issued a new cert. All very helpfull

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
I would 'bin' it and start with a new one that will have a much better GPS using many satellites rather than a few. Is that frayed looking thing at the top the aerial - it looks past its sell by date.

If possibly get it removed from any register and the MARS / ITU ? is a good place to start.

Neeves

Visit site
In terms of the value of your life (we all love you), its cheap, the EPIRB, (or worthless). You need a new one, or not, with a reliable battery.

I have a suspicion if you destroy it then it does not need to be deregistered (as it cannot be activated or copied) so cannot be a base of confusion.

If you need one, sailing over the horizon - buy a new one - cheap as chips (in terms of the value of your life and that of your crew).

On a separate count - it does seem a complete waste of a resource to throw them out.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
When mine was past its expiry date, I replaced myself the batteries (cost some tens of euro for exactly the same battery pack) and at the same time I bought a new epirb; I keep both. There have been cases when older epirb worked and new ones not, so it cannot hurt.

dunedin

Visit site
I saw elsewhere you are perhaps buying a new EPIRB for USD 1000.
A new EPIRB is the best solution. But if just to deliver your boat the 100 miles to from the mast collection, a PLB would be much cheaper and plenty sufficient for a short trip, provided you keep with you at all times and recognise the importance of aerial positioning
PS Others before objecting, reread sentence 2.