Okay!! here we go...what to do?

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
The idea of living on a boat really appeals to me, but SWIMBO is not so interested. So what to do?
I won't go into all the negative stuff like Mr. Browns outragous tax on my salary or the price of petrol etc. etc.
But........
Senario 1: sell house & current Moody, raise after all expenses approx £200k.
give swimbo 1/2 that leaves £100k, buy new (secondhand) Moody 36cc say around 60K after all costs & refit etc. leaves 40k
Question: can I live on 8k a year in the med plus a little bit of work ...contract back here for 4 to 6 months a year say another 4k nett income after expenses.

Senario 2: Sell as above & give SWIMBO a ride in a really super yacht say a Moody 38cc & hope for a result?

Senario 3: Nah its illegal!

What to do?

poter

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
advertise for crew, show swmbo pictures of the better looking ones.

the critical question is "are you coming when i go?"

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
ok I love boats but I would not sell the house !

You never know when you will need a house? I would rent the house and split the money with swmbo, maybe write her postcards from all sorts of places , she will soon join ... by flight or ferry?

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Colin_S

Visit site
Are you forgetting scenario 4?

That's the one where you discover your wife is not computer illiterate after all and those evening classes she's been attending are on computing and last week's lesson included the use of the 'History' button on the browser. Her scenario 3 may be further down the planning stage than yours.

Re Tom's suggestion of renting the house, if you are seriously considering selling up I would look at another alternative to renting your current place. That is to sell up and buy a couple of basic 2 bed houses / flats and rent those out instead.
I'm currently watching the property market very closely locally as I have a bungalow that I need to sell soon and am worried about prices falling. It's been suggested that I rent that out but it would only bring in about £750 - £800 a month. Converted to 2 flats of a similar total value I should get about £1100 per month.
Not knowing values and rents in your area I can only guess, but, if you bought a couple of flats and could rent them out at say £1000 a month, you could get a mortgage on them with a maximum monthly payment of £850 a month (85%) which should give you somewhere in the region of £150k cash to play with.

<hr width=100% size=1>