OK - Here's a question - Use of a twin groove Furlex 2000

Refueler

Visit site
Here we have a Furlex 2000 furling system with a twin groove foil.

I have used twin groove before - but it was without halyard swivel ... you basically had two halyards .. so you could hoist one .. use - then hoist second while dropping first.

The Furlex - I cannot remove the halyard swivel without literally dismantling the system. So what is the point of dual groove if the swivel is preventing the 'quick swap' of sails ?

Maybe there's some trick I'm missing here ?

Manual mentions two sails hoisted for downwind running ! and also racing by removing drum / swivel ...

Last edited:

Aja

Visit site
Here we have a Furlex 2000 furling system with a twin groove foil.

I have used twin groove before - but it was without halyard swivel ... you basically had two halyards .. so you could hoist one .. use - then hoist second while dropping first.

The Furlex - I cannot remove the halyard swivel without literally dismantling the system. So what is the point of dual groove if the swivel is preventing the 'quick swap' of sails ?

Maybe there's some trick I'm missing here ?

Manual mentions two sails hoisted for downwind running ! and also racing by removing drum / swivel ...
When racing in the past with 'Tuff-luff' or similar we always had 2nd sail in groove ready to hoist. Never attempted to hoist and drop at same time and usually on downwind leg.

Quickest was drop, switch sheets and halyard then hoist.

Refueler

Visit site
https://support.seldenmast.com/files/595-104-E.pdf. 11.1.8 on page 36 has the answer. 6.2 on page 26 is also relevant

I have the manual ...

The matter is that the swivel is not easy to remove to facilitate use of the twin groove - despite what the manual says.

Manual mentions about winging two sails downwind ... as well as the use of which groove based on side the furling line is. TBH - given that most furling is a single groove centred - does it really make that difference which groove to use ?

So my starting the discussion was in light of that ...

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It’s the same as my old Furlex. Remove the line guide, furling line, drum rope guards furling drum, and drop the top swivel to the bottom. Then use both halyards and twin grooves as required.

An age ago I raced using this system with inside and outside drop, hoists, so as not to tangle the halyards, when changing head sail size. You can use the lazy sheet rigged doubled up with the working sheet, or an additional set of sheets.

The key point is that the top swivel drops below the luff groove slot. You will also need a prefeeder to easily guide sail into luff groove.

If it isn’t dropping it may have accumulated dirt in the top swivel. I had this problem and the swivel would always jam about 2m above the clew. After cleaning it went all the way up and down. Weirdly there was no obvious build up, just grime. I think because its a close sliding fit, it doesn’t take much.

Good luck.

B27

Visit site
We did similar with a Harken system.
Take the drum off for racing,
Drop the swivel below the feeder.
That meant unscrewing the feeder.
Don't lose the screws, they're not metric....

Refueler

Visit site
It’s the same as my old Furlex. Remove the line guide, furling line, drum rope guards furling drum, and drop the top swivel to the bottom. Then use both halyards and twin grooves as required.

An age ago I raced using this system with inside and outside drop, hoists, so as not to tangle the halyards, when changing head sail size. You can use the lazy sheet rigged doubled up with the working sheet, or an additional set of sheets.

The key point is that the top swivel drops below the luff groove slot. You will also need a prefeeder to easily guide sail into luff groove.

If it isn’t dropping it may have accumulated dirt in the top swivel. I had this problem and the swivel would always jam about 2m above the clew. After cleaning it went all the way up and down. Weirdly there was no obvious build up, just grime. I think because its a close sliding fit, it doesn’t take much.

Good luck.

You've hit the nail on the head ... that sail feed slot ... I completely forgot its removable ..