Oilskins

gaylord694

Visit site
Has anyone on here used mullions trousers or jackets as I've read that Pat lawless was looking at a set so I can only presume there pretty good to go around the world in ......I was just wondering if anybody had first hand experience of using them

Minerva

Visit site
Look very similar on philosophy to the ubiquitous Fladen suits seen around every fishing harbour; tough, waterproof, warm but not even pretending to be breathable.

My only experience of using fladen was a hired set whale watching in Northern Iceland. The air temp was 6° and blowing >20kts straight from the North. The set kept me tolerably unfrozen.

ylop

Visit site
If we are talking the same thing they are flotation suits? Couple of things you need to be aware of: 1. they will provide the bouyancy equivalent to a bouyancy aid but will not turn you the right way up - you will need a 275N lifejacket (bigger and less comfortable than the 150-190N ones commonly used be leisure sailors) to combat that. 2. if you wear the trousers alone they will tend to make you float "feet up" which is very bad - they are so warm you may be tempted to take the jacket off when it stops raining. 3. Great for sitting doing nothing in on a cold day, not as water proof as good foulies in my experience (although we may not be comparing the same models), even if they were you'll end up soaked with sweat. Absolutely rubbish for walking a mile to the pub in from the anchorage, climbing a hill etc.

Geoff A

Visit site
I have a Mullion two piece suit and very pleased with it. When I brought mine the rating on the label stated waterproof, the Fladen suits on the label said water resistant, I do not know if this has changed as I have had my Mullion suit foe quite a few years now. This goes for the Fladen suit as well, if the suits are good enough for professional oilrig workers and fishermen that work all day in them they are good enough for me. That was the deciding factor for me. As ylop has said if you are wearing a full suit you will need a 275 or above lifejacket. I will agree they do get very warm. They are also more affordable than the expensive named brands of oilies.