oilskins

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
A good friend pitches up friday night for a weekend. ostensibly to sort out morning suites but with the fringe benefit that swbo is in london till late saturday and we can sit in the pub talking boats.

great weekend. last night he shows me his new oilskin suit. Offshore jacket affair built in harness breathable. One of the top makes.
The underneath however was an all in one affai,r what i can really best describe as a romper suit. rather than my dungaree type . problem was ( to my mind) he could only really get a t shirt on under the trousers. so jacket is padded with fleece but if he wants another fleece it has to go over his suit and, well frankly one would need to be houdini to get out of it. in a storm tossed yacht and witha fleese over the zip and shoulders bit it may not be ideal.

i have just got light coastal stuff and swear by my breathables. but the dungas are easy on and off.

mate now having second thoughts. how practical are they? anybody got first hand experience of the more fitted trouser oilies?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Only the most unusual people wear a T-shirt under their trousers! ;~)

My mid-layer suit is just that - a suit. Don't fancy the lack of versatility of a one-piece.

Incidentally, instructions with all my breathable gear emphasise that a T-shirt should never be worn beneath them. Wear a synthetic underwear designed to wick the moisture away.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Sounds like a bit of a hybrid suit - a combination of an Offshore top layer jacket with middle-layer trousers. I know middle layer is available as a one-piece, although I prefer the suit as it gives more flexibility.

Middle layer is designed to be tight fitting, worn over thermal undies only, so that fits the description.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
ah right so how waterproof are these middle layer jobs.

mmm these troosers have the extra padding in the knees and bum to preven wear so they do not like they are to be worn under another pair of troosers.

he did only payt £400 squid for the lot so it is good value IF it keeps him warm and dry.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>