Oh Hell. Props Again!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!!
So all sorted with prop size and a price and an offer to but in Guernsey. Rings my mechanic for a price off him. And what does he tell me. His bods have decided that three blade props are no good and wear faster. Also four blade props are faster. But of course more money. Cant go along with the wear away faster bit cos mine have done at least five years and probably twelve. Also went one year with no anodes on the prop shaft, so that didn't help. So what does the esteamed panel think. Are four blade props worth an extra 50 quid a piece.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I always understood that the more blades there were on a prop, the LESS speed you would get because of the increased drag of the extra blade. As far as I know, the only reason to go to 4 bladed props would be for decreased vibration.
If your original props were 3 bladers, thats how the designer intended it and if you're happy with the performance they gave then why change? If you change to 4 bladers, you'll only end up having to experiment with pitch and diameter anyway
IMHO, the wear bit is bollox

burgundyben

Visit site
Its a bit rich coming from you HLB, a serious question from the bloke in capable of a serious response to anything.

If the three blade props give the performance you expect from the boat why change? If it aint broke dont fix it comes to mind.

four blade props offer a higher DAR (disc area ratio), I think they only use 4 blades generally on bigger applications and when the installation limits the diameter that can be used.

All a load of nuts as I am no expert, go for the cheapies that you know will work.

Antigua was fab, thanks for asking.

......girls, girls, get back, please, one at a time......

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: The plot thickens.

Anyway. What do you mean BuggerBen! I'm always answering seriously. Just not always doing it in a serious way.
So now found a man who is £100 quid each cheaper and only 10 quid more for four blade. And he's very kindly gone away and checked. And says. I'll get better exeleration and cruise on lower rev's. with a little more top speed.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I realise this may seem a little radical but one wonders whether or not you have conversed with those nice people at Princess and solicited their views on the issue? Also, a call to Steel Developments might elicit further knowledge to confuse the old brainbox eh what!
For a man who can take a halfwit designed virtual burgeee from concept to flappy flappy reality in the blink of a plain brown envelope you appear to be making heavy weather of this old chap!

MoBoChat Images and Profile Pics at www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/mobochat

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not making heavy weather. Just did not know prop size till last week. Not in a hurry to spend the money either. Mr Princess is now fitting these new four blade props to everything now apparently. Followed recomendations to go to steel developments. But they did not mention the options and 100 quid dearer. So thats 200 quid more.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

burgundyben

Visit site
Not.

Have handed in my notice at work to begin making my first million...

"Next time this year Rodney, we'll be millyonares"

Looking for a marine industry related opportunity in the Solent?

......girls, girls, get back, please, one at a time......

aztec

Visit site
Re: tell us more

don't blame me, i simply took my spare props down to have them checked, and was told that they started life as slightly larger diameter items.(which is why i couldn't measure the diameter against standard off the shelf jobs)

i was told that they were worn by a small amount, and not to worry. but that said i'll never dive off a pier again!

now i know why tap washers wear out.

interested in stuff that needs mendin'

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html