Off topic - computer question

PCUK

Visit site
There is a program in my computer which insists on putting a small file called "thumbs.db" into all my picture folders. It is a database file and must have come from a program that I once installed but no longer use.
ANyone any ideas as to the origin of these files and how I might get rid of them.
They are definitely not a virus and I have a vague idea that they may be something to do with the Iomega Zip drive back-up software.
Any help greatly appreciated!

BrendanS

Visit site
Yes, it's a program called Windows! You can remove this program if you wish, but you'd have to replace it with another operating system, or your computer won't operate very well! Any of the Linux variants will do the job.

Windows simply puts a thumbs.db file in any folder which contains pictures.

PCUK

Visit site
Thanks Brendan, but is there no way to stop it? It seems to be something that has only been happening in the last few months.

AAHHHH! wait a minute . . . . . .

Just went into folder options and checked the "hide system files and folders" and they have gone.
I just remembered that I had to uncheck that box for some reason a few months ago and that was when they appeared.
Brilliant, thanks again Brendan, so easy when you know which buttons to press!

[2068]

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just remember that hiding them won't stop them being created... it just hides them when you open that folder. As BrendanS says... You can't stop them being created AFAIK.

You can delete them but there isn't any point... they will just get recreated by Windows!

[/ QUOTE ]

In Windows XP:
Tools, Folder Options, View, "Do not cache thumbnails" will prevent them being recreated.

dv.

[2068]

Visit site
If you turn off caching, the Windows shell will have to re-generate the images if you use "thumbnail" view, which will take more time.

Personally I'd leave caching enabled and simply hide hidden files unless you have a specific reason to disable it, e.g. you never ever use thumbnail view in a folder.

dv.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
If you never use a thumbnail it a folder, delete the thums.db file and it will not be recreated. Only get recreated in folders set to thumbnail view.

[ QUOTE ]

If you turn off caching, the Windows shell will have to re-generate the images if you use "thumbnail" view, which will take more time.

Personally I'd leave caching enabled and simply hide hidden files unless you have a specific reason to disable it, e.g. you never ever use thumbnail view in a folder.

dv.

[/ QUOTE ]

PCUK

Visit site
Many thanks all.
I do have a reason for not wanting the thumbs file to keep appearing.
I've now set the system to not cache thumbnails and there is no noticeable difference when viewing thumbnails.

Also there is that power thing about being in charge and not letting the computer do whatever it wants!!!