Oceanlord Exhaust smoke etc

mark1882

Visit site
Hi
I have a Westerly Oceanlord with a VP 2003T engine which smokes a little engine and I am not sure what the cause of this could be and or if its an issue to be concerned about.

I also seem to have a slight amount of an oily substance being emitted from the exhaust when I initially start the engine. In every other respect the engine seems to be working fine, it starts straight away, it never seems to miss a beat, fuel consumption is pretty good at between 2.1 and 2.5 litres and hour at 1800 to 2002 revs, the coolant level remains stable, and I do not seem to be using any engine oil. I do get a small amount of smoke particularly when first starting but most diesel engines I see seem to also smoke a little.

I don't know if the slight oily type discharge I see on the water after starting the engine is a feature of it having a turbo, or something more sinister, so I would welcome any comments/advice.

Many thanks

Mark

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
What colour is the smoke? A little white smoke is pretty much normal for the 2003; anything else is a cause for concern. Lots of white smoke probably signifies a blockage in the cooling system; there is a tube passing through the cylinder head that has many small holes in it; these get blocked easily. Hydrochloric acid or RydLyme or similar (remove the engine anode first!) are helpful.

Black smoke suggests problems with the injectors; blue smoke suggests it is burning oil.

West Coast

Visit site
PVB of this parish had the same engine on his last boat and knows his stuff, suggest you repost with 2003T in the post title to grab his attention!

ribrage

Visit site
Hi
I have a Westerly Oceanlord with a VP 2003T engine which smokes a little engine and I am not sure what the cause of this could be and or if its an issue to be concerned about.

I also seem to have a slight amount of an oily substance being emitted from the exhaust when I initially start the engine. In every other respect the engine seems to be working fine, it starts straight away, it never seems to miss a beat, fuel consumption is pretty good at between 2.1 and 2.5 litres and hour at 1800 to 2002 revs, the coolant level remains stable, and I do not seem to be using any engine oil. I do get a small amount of smoke particularly when first starting but most diesel engines I see seem to also smoke a little.

I don't know if the slight oily type discharge I see on the water after starting the engine is a feature of it having a turbo, or something more sinister, so I would welcome any comments/advice.

Many thanks

Mark

Possibly the valve stem oil seals - the valve train on top the cylinder head is obviously lubricated , the oil is prevented from running into the cylinders by small rubber seals on the valve stems, over time they lose their effective ness and become hard , while the engine is running its generally un noticeable , when the engine is switched off the oil left in the valve train runs down the tops of the valves , a small amount a VERY small amount gets into the cylinders and sits atop the pistons

next time you start the engine that oil is partially burnt off , but is visible on start up as the engine is essentially over fueled and cold , what you see on the water is an oily film.

Unless you are particularly worried or its bad , ignore it - the oil loss if any will be negligable