Now you have it, now you dont

Stemar

Visit site
Which explains all you need to know about why, as a confirmed coward, I don't carry a spinnaker. Sorting out whose insurance pays for the new mast could be interesting.

I'm reminded of a racing story from a few years back when the wind was building on a spinnaker run from quick to "wow" to "gulp" to "there's no way we can get that thing down in these conditions". The skipper put a bloke up by the mast with a parachute flare and orders to shoot the spinnaker the second anything started to go wrong. IIRC, they were lucky and the flare wasn't needed

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
What would 'shooting' the spinaker with a flare achieve? It'd just go straight through, wouldn't it? Or bounce back on deck and add 3rd degree burns to the mess.

That's why I carry a serrated bread knife in the cockpit. Just cut the sheet or better the haliyard if you can.

Stemar

Visit site
What would 'shooting' the spinaker with a flare achieve? It'd just go straight through, wouldn't it? Or bounce back on deck and add 3rd degree burns to the mess.

That's why I carry a serrated bread knife in the cockpit. Just cut the sheet or better the haliyard if you can.

If the wind's strong enough that you can't get the kite down safely, the slightest hole would allow it to rip apart, so you've only got the hems and string to sort out.

dom

Visit site
If the wind's strong enough that you can't get the kite down safely, the slightest hole would allow it to rip apart, so you've only got the hems and string to sort out.

This idea sounds a bit Wile E. Coyote to me :rolleyes:

The flare might just cauterize the cloth as it went through and depending on the spi's cut a single panel rip wouldn't necessarily trigger spontaneous disintegration.

But what if the damn thing was diverted, boomeranged, or otherwise deflected by the spinnaker? Personally, I'd opt for the salty swim and most certainly so if the flare was heading my way!

lpdsn

Visit site
This idea sounds a bit Wile E. Coyote to me :rolleyes:

The flare might just cauterize the cloth as it went through and depending on the spi's cut a single panel rip wouldn't necessarily trigger spontaneous disintegration.

But what if the damn thing was diverted, boomeranged, or otherwise deflected by the spinnaker? Personally, I'd opt for the salty swim and most certainly so if the flare was heading my way!

On top of which, it would be really embarrassing if they fired at the spinny from 20' away and missed. :)

Sounds like a club bar story anyway. When you've got the kite up in heavy weather you don't send crew weight forward unnecessarily.

johnalison

Visit site
On top of which, it would be really embarrassing if they fired at the spinny from 20' away and missed. :)

Sounds like a club bar story anyway. When you've got the kite up in heavy weather you don't send crew weight forward unnecessarily.
Too damned dangerous. I always carry a sawn-off shotgun for the purpose.