Notice to Mariners - Week 02

tillergirl

Visit site
Bit early but there is a local notice about NYE which might be relevant to some.

UKHO Permanent/Preliminary/Temporary - not very exciting this week - which is good! 🍾

1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. -
A cluster of 9 reductions of depth in the River Thames in Erith Reach off Jenningtree Point. Unlikely to hinder leisure craft.
2. NETHERLANDS - Wreck. - One new wreck off the Dutch coast, on the Rabsank, north of the Westpit two-way shipping channel. Ample water over the wreck, unlikely to hinder any leisure craft.

Local

1. Cork Sand Yacht Beacon (North Cardinal) Unlit -
Cork Sand Yacht Beacon is reported to be unlit. A further notice will be issued when it has been repaired.
2. Harwich Harbour - Dredging Operations - Scald - on or about 1 January 2024 the trailing suction hopper dredger Scald - (IMO: 9352846) will commence maintenance dredging in the Harwich Haven and around the Port of
Felixstowe for a period of approximately 3 to 4 days. Materials will be disposed to the beneficial sites in the River Stour and River Orwell. Chartlet available on the usual page in the Local List: Notices to Mariners
3. New Year Fireworks Event - Harwich Halfpenny Pier - a New Year’s Eve Fireworks Event will be taking place in Harwich at Halfpenny Pier from approx. 23:50 – 00:20. During this event the berthing facilities will be closed and
vehicle road access to the pier (via The Quay) may be restricted. For further information, Pier Attendants will be available at Halfpenny Pier during the event or alternatively contact Harwich VTS (VHF 71).
4. Latest Depths - Harwich Deep Water Channel - a recent survey has identified reduced depths (minimum 15.6m below chart datum) in the Harwich Deep Water Channel, 90m from the tow line east of the Cross buoy. See the hydrographic survey extract in the above quoted web page for further details. See also local Notice to Mariners 68-2023.
5. Harwich Harbour - Dredging Operations – Medway and Teddy - on or about 28 December 2023 the trailing suction hopper dredger Medway (IMO: 9524152) and the plough tug Teddy (IMO: 9862061) will commence maintenance
dredging in the Harwich Haven, around the Port of Felixstowe and the Harwich Deep Water channel west of No. 1 and No. 2 buoys, for a period of approximately 20 days. Materials will be disposed of at the Inner Gabbard. Update 1 Dredging areas now include the River Stour and Mistley berths.
6. Royal Harwich Yacht Club Dredging -
commencing 3rd January 2024- February 2024 annual dredging will take place at Royal Harwich Yacht Club for the removal of silt and sediment. This work will take place using a plough dredger.
The vessel undertaking the works is the “Ben Michael”. “Ben Michael” will maintain a listening watch at all times on VHF CH68 however mariners wishing for more information should contact ONS Ipswich on VHF CH68.

That's it. Happy New Year to all 🍾🍾

tillergirl

Visit site
I know, I know, But it just a label.

1. UKHO 'issue' weekly notices dated on a Thursday. Week 02 Thursday is Thursday 11th January - logic init! It is the second Thursday in 2024.
2. The weekly notice will have assembled the daily notices issued during Week 01. E.g. Notice 111 (the first one above) was issued on the daily notice for 3rd January, 2024.
3. The daily notice for 3rd January was actually created as a pdf on 22nd December, 2023 which was Week 51.
4. The UKHO issued the weekly notice for Week 02 on their website on 29th December.

Of course the Bank Holiday days will have tweaked dates over this period. Normally the UKHO issues weekly notices on their website at about 4pm on the Monday preceding the Thursday date of the 'week' so it looks a little more logical.

"GUIDANCE NOTES FOR THE USE OF ADMIRALTY NOTICES TO MARINERS ON THE UKHO WEBSITE
The Weekly Notices to Mariners (NM) updates for paper Charts and Publications can be accessed via
admiralty.co.uk/msi or the searchable NM Website www.ukho.gov.uk/nmwebsearch The latest
digital NM Weekly update is available 10 days prior to the paper publication date; there are no
subscription fees for access to the UKHO Notices to Mariners Website"

Of course, urgent issues would be notified on Radio Navigation Warnings. It will be interesting how NtM are conducted when paper charts are discontinued.

I tend to look at daily notices two or three times in the week. That enables me to prepare things bit by bit over the week rather than a slog on the Monday evening. I picked Monday evenings because the preceding week's notices are in. Local notices generally just appear when they are ready; some are announced in advance, others get little or no notice. I am afraid I only look at the local notices on the Monday although several Authorities such as the Crouch, Harwich and Blakeney Harbour Authorities and the London Array maintain a subscriber system and I get such emails as and required.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I know, I know, But it just a label.

1. UKHO 'issue' weekly notices dated on a Thursday. Week 02 Thursday is Thursday 11th January - logic init! It is the second Thursday in 2024.
2. The weekly notice will have assembled the daily notices issued during Week 01. E.g. Notice 111 (the first one above) was issued on the daily notice for 3rd January, 2024.
3. The daily notice for 3rd January was actually created as a pdf on 22nd December, 2023 which was Week 51.
4. The UKHO issued the weekly notice for Week 02 on their website on 29th December.

Of course the Bank Holiday days will have tweaked dates over this period. Normally the UKHO issues weekly notices on their website at about 4pm on the Monday preceding the Thursday date of the 'week' so it looks a little more logical.

"GUIDANCE NOTES FOR THE USE OF ADMIRALTY NOTICES TO MARINERS ON THE UKHO WEBSITE
The Weekly Notices to Mariners (NM) updates for paper Charts and Publications can be accessed via
admiralty.co.uk/msi or the searchable NM Website www.ukho.gov.uk/nmwebsearch The latest
digital NM Weekly update is available 10 days prior to the paper publication date; there are no
subscription fees for access to the UKHO Notices to Mariners Website"

Of course, urgent issues would be notified on Radio Navigation Warnings. It will be interesting how NtM are conducted when paper charts are discontinued.

I tend to look at daily notices two or three times in the week. That enables me to prepare things bit by bit over the week rather than a slog on the Monday evening. I picked Monday evenings because the preceding week's notices are in. Local notices generally just appear when they are ready; some are announced in advance, others get little or no notice. I am afraid I only look at the local notices on the Monday although several Authorities such as the Crouch, Harwich and Blakeney Harbour Authorities and the London Array maintain a subscriber system and I get such emails as and required.
I had a vague idea you'd told us something along those lines before.

I noticed, though, that even if one (i.e. the UKHO) takes the approach that they're being posted in advance, it includes notices for events that will have been and gone (e.g. Dec 31st at Halfpenny Pier) by the notional 2nd well of the year.

I''m not complaining - and especially not about your sterling service to the forum and East Coast sailors generally - just bemused by my own struggle to understand the UKHO's logic.

tillergirl

Visit site
Well quite! Normally I wouldn't post Notices to Monday evening but I thought as I had the UKHO ones ready I ought to post yesterday otherwise an 'advert' about the Harwick fireworks would be missed. I thought someone might fancy it. I wonder if the Harwich cameras pick it up?

Actually the UKHO logic is perfect for a Leap Year. In 2020 there was a Week 53 which was dated on Thursday 31st December. Everything would be fine! Of course local notices don't label it as to a Week and don't have a routine for uploading. But if I didn't follow the labelling I would easily confuse myself. I admit I am easily confused especially I left the chiming clock in the hall set on BST!