Norwegian link

Viking

Visit site
Something for the weekend -
Some of us over here in Norway (some ex pats) have been tossing the idea about of setting up a 'Norwegian link'.
The idea as come about because we have seen one or two inquires regarding 'cruising' over here as well as some recent articles in the Yachting mags.
We get the feeling that more people would like to 'come over' but feel that they dont know what or where to do or go or who to contact if they find themselves with problems in this 'foreign land'.
The purpose of this 'post' is to, one - Would setting up a 'help link' around the Norwegian coast be of interest? ie we would try a set up a contact name in the major ports and harbours around the cruising coast. Who could be contactable if help or assists is needed by any cruising visitors. The 'name' would supply local information about the area and to assist if in trouble or just to say hello if thats all thats required. - 'A freindly voice on the end of a phone' with local knowlegde if there are problems! The aim being that if potentual visitors know that there is help on the other side it my encourage more UK visitors.
Two - To find 'links' here in Norway who would be interested in be part of such a 'link' system. The aim being is to give informal help and information to fellow yachts-persons, on local marinas/berthing, fuel, engineers, sailmakers, chandleries etc. and give brief information on local shopping, transport, cheap bars and restaurants has well as place to see and visit without becoming a travel agent, taxi or soft touch.
Visitors could get in touch via E Mail before they come, if looking for information or could make contact on arrival to the local 'link'. The 'links' could past the visitors on to the other 'links' in the chain should they wish it. - it also could be a good ex pat. network?
I look forward to your response on Monday!

ccscott49

Visit site
What an excellent idea. I wish you all the best withit. We could do the same for many cruising areas.

AndrewB

Visit site
Ocean Cruising Club?

The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/>Ocean Cruising Club</A> do still provide this service in many ports around the world, though I believe that at present they have no representatives in Norway.

spannerman

Visit site
Re: Ocean Cruising Club?

Well there are at least two of us here, me in Stavanger I work on just about everthing to do with boats, and we have Viking further north in Ålesund and I believe another in the middle in Bergen.
I have had over 50 friends from the Uk visit an nearly all after discovering Norway have returned, and 5 of my mates have married to Scandinavian women. If you are a single guy you will be very popular over here!
So come and see what you have been missing Spannerman (Steve)

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
I would be very interested in this. My boats in Denmark currently, and I'm trying to decide where to sail this summer. My preference would be to sail north to Norway. Whats putting me off is the feeling that my boats too small (24 feet) to handle the weather up there, especially as I normally sail single handed. Being able to talk to people in Norway, and find out what its really like, and the cruising possibilities would definately help.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Yes excellent idea.. it would help to divert attention from Scotland! lol (ohdrat's campaign to keep scottish waters free from the chaos that is the Solent and Channel ...;) )

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Ocean Cruising Club?

Nice lassies, but it's just too bloody cold up here, I'm off back to Spain in a week, I'll be back though, two weeks!!

Viking

Visit site
Re: Norwegian link - up-date 1

I think we may have Oslo covered, and working north along the west coast - Stavanger, Bergen, Ålesund, Kristensund and Trondheim. It would be interesting to find some 'links' up to Lofoten area, if anyone wanted to go as far as Tromøs.
What would be good if we could find some alond the east coast up to Oslo and maybe round to the Swedish coast say Kristensand, Holton, Rigo around to say Fredrikstad or Moss.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Keep up the good work Ken

..... or I might never forget this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=306929&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&part=>image</A> ;)

porth

web.mac.com
The only "challenging" bit for you singlehanding would be the hop from Denmark to Norways south coast, and possibly the bit up to Stavanger if you were going that way and were unlucky with a period of strong NW winds. Northwards after that you can hide inside the islands 99% of the time. "24 feet aint too small!!" As always much depends on how much time you have verses how far you want to get...

janie

Visit site

Would you be interested in our great friends who keep their boat in Stromstad, but live in Halden, Norway? We've been sailing with them 3 times - super sailing area. He's Norwegian (but like all of them speaks impeccable English) and she was Zimbabwean.

Viking

Visit site

Yes, Anyone interested in helping out with the idea of the 'link'. The 'link' is really a 'if needed' sort of role. All they need to do is a page or two of local information. with their contact phone number, and useful phone numbers, E Mail or website addresses.
With maybe some information of ports or harbours each side of themselves, incase a 'friendly' needs help between 'links'.
I will try to put together a one page lists of contacts that could be put into a log of any visitoring yachts-person.

BoatlessinOslo

Visit site

I'm up for it. Based in Oslo and I know a bit about the areas down to Stromstad and Tonsberg. How about expanding it to Scandinavian? I've seen some posts from people in Sweden & Denmark also?

Why's that smoke coming out the hatch ?

BoatlessinOslo

Visit site
You could coast hop if you don't want to make the "big" jump to Kristiansand (or Arendal). There is a sheltered route up the Swedish coast from Gothenberg (I think and definitely from Smogen) to the entrance to Oslo fjord.

Why's that smoke coming out the hatch ?