Norway

G

We are planning a cruise to Norway starting May 2003. Our route is Stagvanger to Lofoten. If anyone is cruising that area during the person May - September 2003 or if anyone has cruised in the area and has any tips or special places to visit please get in touch! lizrobertson35@aol.com

Liz & Laurence
Tidos
Warrior 35

spannerman

Visit site
Hi Liz & Laurance, I am a Brit boat mechanic and have been living and working in Stavanger for the pasy 7 yrs. You are undoubtedly coming to one of Europes best kept secrets in the cruising world. ( see my letter in MBY aug or sept '02 on Norway) I have only been as far as Bergen by sea but there is so much to see here, its usually calm seas as you are protected inside the islands from swells. Make sure you have a set of what is called SportMaps, we sell them where I work and a good depth sounder, its not dangerous here but a little local knowledge helps as there are channels between islands you should use and SHOULDN'T use.
Its very geared up for boating here as nearly everyone has a boat, if you require more info you can contact me direct on sentinel@c2i.net, maybe get to meet you in May,

regards Steve

G

We live on the route (Kristiansund). I went to Lofoten last June.

Main issues:

1. Lack of wind - ended up sailing maybe 30%.
2. Lots of places to visit - especially Lofoten. Main thing is to allow time - which you seem willing to do.
3. Needed a binimi! - it was scorching last June.
4. Good weather reports online. I use my laptop + hi-speed GSM phone card. http://www.dnmi.no/english/maritime/index.html is good.
5. The navigation is 90% pilotage - good charts needed and available, don't skimp. C-map chips very good, but expensive.
6. Food choice is better than it used to be in larger towns. Beer is not wholly unreasonable. Wine is expensive. Spirits very expensive. Eating out makes you weep if not on expenses. There's a pub every 50 miles or so if you are lucky.
7. Great place for hill walking and being alone!
8. July is the main holiday period - either side is quiet. North of Trondheim, it's always quiet...

I have a set of 1:50,000 charts - nearly 30 of them from here to Lofoten. I will lend them to anyone willing to collect and bring back in the condition they got them in.

regards

Viking

Visit site
OK things seem to be going well!
You have 'spannerman' in Stavanger, I'm in Ålesund and 'VThomas' in Kristiansund and 'frilean' in Trondhiem. We need to find some in Bergen and someone farther up the coast beyond Trondhiem?

G

Re: Norway - Frilean

Who's Frilean - I cant find other reference than in Viking's post. Help!
Liz.

Liz & Laurence
Tidos
Warrior 35

G

Reply to VThomas - thanks for information - very interesting. We would very much like to borrow your charts this summer. We will collect from you and return in condition we got them or replace if we damage them in any way. Please can you send me your contact details to lizrobertson35@aol.com so we can discuss details.

Liz & Laurence
Tidos
Warrior 35

porth

web.mac.com
Hi,
I live in Bergen with my family, give me a call if you need any help/info about this area, or if you would like to meet for a few "Bergen tourist hints" when you get here. email
ger-tan@online.no
You seem to have received most essential info from replies already. BUT If you are in Bergen on 17 May you will see the wackiest display of national feeling anywhere; absolutely worth making an effort for if you are "nearly" here anyway. PS Norway is closed on that day....
Enjoy your summer.....

Laurin

Visit site
Hi,

We visited Lofoten for 1 week 2 years ago and had a fantastic time, though we did a lot of motoring. If you like rock climbing check out http://www.svane.net/lofoten/. we climbed the back of this (probably a VS though the book suggests easier). If you want to borrow the guide book let me know. Trollsfjiorden (NE of Lofotens) is a worthwhile diversion, fantastic frozen lake at the top of the hydro-electric pipeline. Take as much food/drink with you as possible if you want to return with your wallet intact.

G

Hi Kas,
Thanks very much for your email - we wont be doing any rock climbing, but thanks for offering the guide book. Is it a guide book for rock climbers or just a general one? If general one then we'd love to borrow it.
Please reply direct to liz@tidos.com. We cant pick up private messages from the forum at the moment for some reason.
Thanks and regards

Liz & Laurence
Tidos
Warrior 35