North Spain

Myango

Visit site
Sailing down to Northern Spain from the Dart in July.
I have always gone straight on but would like to explore this coast.
Does anybody know the area or perhaps could suggest good pilot?
Is there any problem with the recent oil spillage?
Any info gratefully received.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
South Biscay Pilot, Gironde Estuary to La Coruna: Robin Brandon/John Lawson.

I found this excellent for an extended cruise along the north Spanish coast. Plenty of local detail. Ratings of ports are useful, but a little pessimistic about access, and with a bias towards the larger ports, ALL of which I would avoid as far as possible, apart from Corunna. Otherwise its a good cruising ground, generally more attractive towards the west. Its easier to go west-> east than vice-versa. Much less crowded in summer than the Rias, beautiful though they are.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Myango

Visit site
Thanks. Pilot on order. It certainly looks more interesting on the west side between La Coruna and Vigo though I suspect not as protected from prevailing weather. I will be cruising with children so flat seas are a bonus.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the rias of la coruna & south/west from there are great. there are some nice villages & small towns where you can anchor off and go for a drink & tapas. it can get a bit frisky off finisterre but once into the rias it's pretty civilised (though we did get over 50 knots of wind in la coruna one night).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Reap

Visit site
Try Corme just round the corner from La Coruna if conditions permit though you can usually choose your anchorage according to the wind. Also Camarinas and Muros are very pleasant, in fact all of the Ria's give some of the best sailing areas in Europe.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

Birdseye

Visit site
dont ignore thre bit from the french border to gijon. whilst gijon and santander are OK (just), there are lots of small harbours which are very spanish because of the absence of tourists. llanes. lastres, lequeito, even san sebastian. and the great thing is that once you are south of bordeaux, you are free of the hamble yachtsman on his summer cruise!

bilbao is a good base (use the yacht club not the marina) and is also a good port of arrival from the short sea crossing from the gironde.

<hr width=100% size=1>