North Holland canal/ Mast up routes

Captain Jan

Visit site
Has anyone recent experience of Mast Up through the North Holland Canal, Amsterdam to Den Helder? We transit Holland next week. Ref. Mast Up routes, so far as I am aware , the Mast up through Groningen is still permanently closed, there are some restrictions on one of the North Delta system bridges, but otherwise is ok for Mast Up Dutch routes. Any up to date input on the Mast Up transit of Holland would be a great help. Thanks.

Trident

Visit site
Can't help from recent experience but if you download the Cruising Association guide to the Staande Masteroute I believe that has live links to the latest updates from their members including their local experts - its only about £10 so probably worth a punt

Tradewinds

Visit site
I suggest downloading the Nautical Map app by waterkaarten. 2023 version should be up to date. Its a subscription I’m afraid. Full of info and relevant charts.

MK101

Visit site
Despite the date on the page, the interactive map on this site will give you the latest info: Staande Mast Route

You have to zoom in a bit. It suggests an alternative route to get round the blockage in North Holland.

To check every bridge or lock on your route, you can look here: www.vaarweginformatie.nl It's from Rijkswaterstaat ie the water authority in NL. It's a bit laborious but you can click on each obstacle in turn. Note if you're using your phone, then make sure you click through to check 'berichten' (that is notices or messages) - that's where you'll get the detail about unexpected closures.

Incidentally, RWS says about Groningen that if the bridge is opened for commercial passage, then with enough notice, recreational vessels can go through as well. There's an email address - and it says they need a minimum of 5 working days notice.

johnalison

Visit site
That will be a shame for many, since Groningen is a nice place to stop and the canal can be very useful when the weather offshore makes a passage unappealing. The area is not as scenic as in the west and some of the banks are a bit high, but we were ‘forced’ to do it several times. The weird modern building in Groningen is a gallery/museum which is well worth seeing.

Captain Jan

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. It appears the liftbridge at Zandam, Coenbrug, is still broken so that up to Den Helder via North Holland canal is not a mast up route at this time. I'll post any other unexpected closures.