Non red diesel - Solent area

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Sorry, I can't answer your question but having moved from red to white two years ago I buy my white from the local Shell garage (I use V-Power on the recommendation of a diesel mechanic).

OK I use about 40l in a normal year and have two 20l jerry cans that I use to fill the tank.

matt1

Visit site
So both Premier and MDL have confirmed they have no immediate plans to change from red diesel. Pretty sure my local garage has a 20ltr limit in cans (& I wanted to avoid road diesel) which would require 8 trips to fill me tank with non red. Looks like France is out of the question this year - especially as I still have 140 litres of red left!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
So both Premier and MDL have confirmed they have no immediate plans to change from red diesel. Pretty sure my local garage has a 20ltr limit in cans (& I wanted to avoid road diesel) which would require 8 trips to fill me tank with non red. Looks like France is out of the question this year - especially as I still have 140 litres of red left!
Why do you want to avoid road diesel? I've had no problems with it - got the bug with red and was pretty sure that was because it came from a source with little turn over of the stuff.

Why is France out of the question? No reports of skippers being incarcerated in the Bastille recently.

matt1

Visit site
Wasn't there a recent case of fishing vessel from the Channel Isles being fined? Or was that fake news?

only time in 40 odd years I've seen diesel bug was after using significant quantities of road diesel and was advised it has higher bio content? No idea if that is true but I know Premier make a thing of claiming their fuel has less than 1% bio diesel.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Wasn't there a recent case of fishing vessel from the Channel Isles being fined? Or was that fake news?

only time in 40 odd years I've seen diesel bug was after using significant quantities of road diesel and was advised it has higher bio content? No idea if that is true but I know Premier make a thing of claiming their fuel has less than 1% bio diesel.
From memory they were carrying it in jerry cans, a big no, no.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have had white for ages & do not find it an issue. But I do collect it in jerry cans, when convenient, from a garage & fill a couple before anyone stops me. Not that they have. Then I store 6 full cans at home.
I carry enough fuel to get me to Boulogne (or Breskens) & fill up for my cruises there. I also fill some cans & the tank whilst leaving Boulogne on the return trip.

The 2 round UK trips were a problem, but I just cleaned the tank & fuel lines out afterwards. That was just a 2 hour job, so no big deal.

I know someone who has a false fuel filler with a long length of fuel hose plugged off & filled with white. It is not connected to a tank. It is labelled "Fuel" ( It used to go to a now disused tank)
His main tank is labelled " fresh water".( because he never changed it when he renewed the tank)
Has not been challenged yet, but will let them dip the false fuel line.

Last edited: