Non boaty stuff,

RupertW

Visit site
...and the Crystalsingers series is pretty amazing too - like long-lived opera-singing millionaire junkie pilots - what an imagination and even a sailing sub-plot in one of them.

Don't know why, but I can't really read the Dragon ones anymore though I used to love them when I was younger.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Nah, never liked AMcK. Raymond Feist works for me, in fact I've recently gone to the trouble of fixing a screaming meanie PC normally optimised for low latency online Half Life and so forth just so that I can play Betrayal at Krondor, an elderly DOS based game based in Midkemia!

Simon Scarrow's Roman legionary stuff, great reads but the language is very barrack room for those of a tender disposition. Amuse yourself by wondering how far the galley drifted in the storm and where they could possibly have gone ashore to be captured by the Britons, based on the description. Then wonder how they didn't see the Isle of Wight, or who moved Beachy head 80 odd miles towards Dorset:)

Pterry is superb, one of these days he needs to write a proper horror story as he obviously has the talent to do so. Lords and Ladies + Wee Free Men with none of the funny bits would be very dark indeed.

SWMBO and I have several 000s of books, the only room with no regular supply of reading material being the smallest one downstairs, take it in yourself:)

Redemption of Althalaus is kept on the boat, its the reading equivalent of Pratchett's dwarf bread, and I have the hardback so good in combat too:) All the other stuff is not too bad but could have been trimmed here and there.

I'll stop now, book to read, I wish.