No future!?

Supermario

Visit site
I have been merrily applying for cadetships with various companies throughout the UK recently. No results so far, but still early days. However, my initial optimism has been somewhat dampened by many of the comments on this forum.

My main concerns are:-
1. Are companies really investing in cadets, only to cut them loose in large numbers once qualified?
2. Obviously shipping is and has always been one of the most international industries possible, but how big is the risk to British officers of being replaced by (presumeably cheaper) non-Brits on UK flagged vessels?
3. If UK Govt is in effect funding our (and of course numerous EU citizens) training at UK colleges, would they just sit back and let us be gradually pushed aside, as has been seen in many other occupations?
4. Even if career opportunities are declining for new British officers, contrary to the impression given by colleges etc, could I reasonably expect to get a few years of employment should I qualify?

Sorry to bunch all these Q's together folks, but would value your opinions.

penfold

Visit site
1. Are companies really investing in cadets, only to cut them loose in large numbers once qualified?In many cases(but not all)yes; they fund cadets because of the tonnage tax, not because they want UK crew
2. Obviously shipping is and has always been one of the most international industries possible, but how big is the risk to British officers of being replaced by (presumeably cheaper) non-Brits on UK flagged vessels?To a significant extent this has already happened, but the demographic is such(a very large percentage of UK mariners are over 50 and will retire shortly) that a competent cadet starting now will not have problems finding work for the next 20 years
3. If UK Govt is in effect funding our (and of course numerous EU citizens) training at UK colleges, would they just sit back and let us be gradually pushed aside, as has been seen in many other occupations?There's work to be had; what more do you want? The number of UK mariners is dropping because more people are retiring than cadets qualifying, not because of real or perceived prejudice against UK crew by manning departments.
4. Even if career opportunities are declining for new British officers, contrary to the impression given by colleges etc, could I reasonably expect to get a few years of employment should I qualify?If you're any good, yes.

Supermario

Visit site
I see that Trinity House have been offering cadetships- have you tried them?

Have you had a look at www.officercadet.com ?

Good luck
Paul

Thanks Carise, I have tried them but no luck yet. Have also gleaned much more info since my original posting (including the forum you mention), so I'm hoping I can use this to my advantage. On paper it looks as though I should be eligible for entry onto one of the college courses, just have to keep plugging away until someone offers me an interview. Then if no luck after that I've only myself to blame!

A perusal of typical MN job ads seems encouraging, quite a variety of work available.....no idea how much competition there is though, especially for newly qualified officers.

masterboater

Visit site
Your Future

That is a hard decision to make when the odds don't seem to be that great in your future. Many universities don't reflect the real outcome of employment opportunities. They promised me great outcomes and opportunities but so far it has been a great challenge. If you have a great passion for it that might get you through the doors more then anything. Keep up the course if you are willing to fight the path.

oldrib

Visit site
As someone who is currently going through the process (with Maersk) i can say that once you have got the cadetship as long as you work hard then there is no reason why there would not be a job once you have qualified.
As it is not a university course as such, and all the tutors are ex-seafarers there is a more realistic view towards employment at the end. The last group who qualified did so with about 70% gaining immediate employment, some before they had even qualified. I think everybody did get employment within a few months of qualifying.

homa

Visit site
cadetship

Finding a sponsor will be the hardest part.

finding a sponsor who will stay in business for your whole cadetship is always a bit of a gamble.

Once you complete your cadetship and assuming you pass all your exams etc, and you are not too fussy what type of vessel you work on, you should have no trouble finding work -either home trade or deep sea.

Just a thought.....
Have noticed that the offshore wind farms are employing quite a lot at the moment. Due to their high maintenance requirements, I would have thought that there's a job for the future ??

oldrib

Visit site
Finding a sponsor will be the hardest part.

finding a sponsor who will stay in business for your whole cadetship is always a bit of a gamble.

Although i'm not with one, choosing one of the many management companies such as SSTG tends to mean that they will not shut up business, and if the company you are placed with does shut then they will find you another one.

They also tend to take one more cadets each year.

homa

Visit site
Don't believe everything you read

If you really want a career at sea then go for it.
I do believe that if someone really wants something badly enough they should persue their dreams.
Get yourself a copy of the Nautilus union magazine called the "Telegraph".
looking at this months edition there are 8 full pages of job ad's.

For information get a copy of Lloyds List from your local library, although this advertises for shore based jobs connected with the marine industry it will give you a taste of what's available after a career at sea.

Personally I'd also write or visit a couple of marine colleges and find out who is recruiting, sending cadets to their establishments.

You have nothing to loose by being a bit more pro-active. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Finally, have you tried Trinity House or Northern Marine for sponsorship ?

Good luck.

As mentioned before, finding a sponsor is the hardest part, after that it's a rollercoaster of a ride - enjoy !!