Nieuwport Flood barrier

bluerm166

Visit site
Can locals please advise whether the flood barrier is complete. If it is complete are there any existing or new forms of Port traffic control (VHF) in force ?
If not complete are there temporary controls in force / e.g.traffic lights/vhf to take into account. ?
It would be nice to be aware.

(My old access port of Dunkerque seemed remarkably laid back on this - once I did ask to enter and was given the all clear only to be met by a destroyer emerging obliquely from the lock on the RHS,during the making of Nolan's film.
On the other hand was firmly told off for not requesting permission at Ostende.Arriving at the entrance in strong seas I was loathe to go below to change channel .Yes a command mike is very desirable.)

westhinder

Visit site
The flood barrier in Nieuwpoort will not be ready soon. Original planning was 2025 but like all these projects in this country it is running behind schedule.
There are no traffic signals or VHF procedures, traffic is only affected during specific phases of the construction which are made public in the Stormvloedkering app, which also gives live wind, current, tide and waves data. Tidal flow is increased in the passage, but not in a way that is problematic for yachts.
When approaching Nieuwpoort from W, stay out of the seaweed farm close to the W tip of the Nieuwpoort bank, indicated by a series of cardinal buoys.

DanTribe

Visit site
The flood barrier in Nieuwpoort will not be ready soon. Original planning was 2025 but like all these projects in this country it is running behind schedule.
There are no traffic signals or VHF procedures, traffic is only affected during specific phases of the construction which are made public in the Stormvloedkering app, which also gives live wind, current, tide and waves data. Tidal flow is increased in the passage, but not in a way that is problematic for yachts.
When approaching Nieuwpoort from W, stay out of the seaweed farm close to the W tip of the Nieuwpoort bank, indicated by a series of cardinal buoys.
A seaweed farm, I wondered what was going on there. What do they use it for?
I have plenty on the bottom of my boat they can have.

westhinder

Visit site
A seaweed farm, I wondered what was going on there. What do they use it for?
I have plenty on the bottom of my boat they can have.
It is intended for food production, the thing is owned by one of the big supermarket chains. I doubt our private seaweed farming will pass the food safety tests

bluerm166

Visit site
I believe it's actually an experimental mussel farm where mussels are grown on long vertical ropes in deep water,greatly increasing growth and possibly quality.
The boat that tends them is designed to pass up and down between the close spaced buoyed horizontal lines.
It's intended that if successful the farm will increase to fourfold the present size.
I like the concept.
Sea farm for Belgian mussels | Colruyt Group