Nice to see a tall ship hard on the wind...

Fantasie 19

Visit site
http://s225.photobucket.com/user/tonybarebones/media/ship.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I thought the actual photograph would be uploaded? what am I doing wrong?

Put the URL for the picture between "
" (no quotes required)..

ship.jpg

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Great photo, but is it really hard on the wind? I don't know what angle to the wind a square rigger can make, but from the waves and what appears to be an ensign it seems to be on a beam reach. It also looks like the fore and aft sails are at a very different angle to the squarre-rigged ones. Can anyone explain, confirm?

tonybarebones

Visit site
I reckon she's a close as she can go... the term "embayed" is nautical... that is a ship could not beat out of a bay because they could not sail close to the wind... probably a beam reach was their best... when ships sailed from Liverpool or Cardiff they were towed down as far as Lundy in Westerlies, to get a slant...

Last edited:

Hadenough

Visit site
That is not sailing close for a square rigger. The yards are not braced hard or in a spiral. I would guess (unless it has been photoshopped) that the were on a reach and caught by a gust or, probably being helmed by a "cadet".

Barbary Pirate

Visit site
The best most square riggers could do was about 60 degrees to the wind - like Hadenough says, the yards are pretty square so not braced for beating.