Newton Ferrers/Yealm - Visitor Pontoon - Depth?

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
Does anyone know how shallow it gets at the lower visitor's pontoon in the Yealm? My charts show it crossing the 2m contour but I guess it changes annually with sediment etc?

I draw 1.5m. OK to moor at it, even at big springs?

TY!

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Contact name: Mr Robin Page, Harbourmaster Address: Harbour Office, Yealm Road, Newton Ferrers, Plymouth, PL8 1BL Telephone no: 01752 872533.

(thinks: If I can Google why can't you???)

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Subject: Tetchy?

You're joking!
As a retired (retarded?) schoolteacher I despair of peeps who are sufficiently computer literate to post questions here but can't be bothered to Google first.
The result? Space-wasting rubbish that fills my Active Topics list to the extent that if I have a nap I'm already out of touch.

Convince me that's progress - or even acceptable!

PS And a local opinion "I think it would be fine" isn't sufficient to make me stay either.
Drying heights, nature of the bottom - details please.
And that link to NF tide tables would also help.

Sequoiah1

Visit site
Have sat in there with 1.5m draft on springs with no problems.
Even the entrance was cleared at low water springs I had a bit of local knowledge to get out though (according to my sounder there was not quite as much water as they indicated.

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
I know what you mean, and I agree in some cases - but to be fair to me, not in this one - I wasn't 100% sure it was OK to bother a harbour master with probably a pretty inane question - and I thought someone on here might have local knowledge they could share... and someone did.

And on reflection - if the forum isn't for asking questions for which the answer is not readily available elsewhere online - and then to have that answer posted - what IS it for? The information you gleaned from Google was not in fact the answer to my question after all.

Further - is it not _this_ very type of discussion which unnecessarily clutters up the forum?

yoda

Visit site
And if your 963 other posts are anyway as insulting as this one then we can do without them cluttering up our forum.

Bob

With your draft you will be fine on the upper pontoon, don't turn too close to the shore at low tide and more importantly make sure you stay on the channel side of spit bouy on the way up river otherwise you can have un unpleasent tide aground on your beam ends!

yoda

andy59

Visit site
Dear Malaprop , as i am still learning a lot of this boaty stuff , nearly every post on ere is interesting to read and informative . Maybe as a retired schoolteacher your patience threshold is beyond repair , /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I know mine would be and i doff my cap in respect . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I

Iota

You won't have a problem on either pontoon or indeed a good way up river.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
May1.jpg

Inside of the lower pontoon... Spring tide... 1.9meters!

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyorr

Visit site
As a teacher of 30+ years experience I would recognise you in my class as the arrogant arsehole who needs a good slap. Fancy your chances?