Newbie Question(Fuel Duty)

TroyTempest

Visit site
Firstly, apologies if this question has been asked before, but I was always told "If you don't know, ask"!

Can someone please explain why I have to pay full road going duty on Petrol I use for my boat when those boaters with "tractor"(Diesel) engines don't?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
oh, we're a long way past the idea of justifying any particular taxes. For example, why does the income tax rate go UP at a higher level - if you bought/paid for a large number of things, the price would go down, not up.

Petrol (Fuel) duty does not pay for roads. Expenditure on roads = approx 2billion - revenue from motorists = 50 billion. Diesel was historically only used in military, buses, and on farms, and seeing as several posh peeps in govt have/had large land haldings/farms then ahem there won't be duty on diesel, and it's a commercial thing. Otherwise all the farmers who are the guardians of the countryside and it would obviously without farmers become awful, (well, actually it would eventually return to forest) rant rave

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Historically. All things used on roads were petrol. Then tax was invented for road use. Tractors came along using parafin and later diesel. Then trucks used diesel. But the farmers said. Hey up, we dont use your roads with our tractors. The fishy men joined in the protest as well, quite rightly, as steering a thousand ton fishy boat down the M62 was quite difficult. Nearly no one had a petrol tractor or boat. So not many complaints. In theory you can claim the duty back. But dont ask me how!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

graham

Visit site
clubs can claim back the duty on petrol used in their safety boats .I think the rest of us just have to keep being ripped off,as usual.

The only way around it is to have a yacht that sails well so engine use is minimal.

<hr width=100% size=1>