Newb Question - hydraulic Steering Fluid

Gordy M

Visit site
Hi all, apologies if this question is going in the wrong place but I didn't spot a newbie section, also am not sure if my boat is consider classic or not, but I think she is fairly classic :)
She is a 25 foot motor sailor (Marina 75).

My question is in regards to topping up the steering hydraulic oil, I have never done this, and unfortunately the man I purchased the boat from died, so I can't go back that way for direction.

The steering from the wheel has become very sloppy, and I have noticed slight leaks near the hydraulic switch (from tiller to wheel) and also a slight leak on what I suspect is the bleeding nipple on the back of the chamber in the middle of the wheel.

Also the previous owner left 2 containers of hydraulic steering oil on board, which suggests to me he topped it up regularly.

So my question is, do I just top up, or do I have to bleed the system, and if so how?

Any help would be fantastic (please).

Gord
Waimanu
Southampton Town Quay

ffiill

Visit site
They usually self bleed as per previous reply.Mine has a supply reservoir set above the wheel a bit like one on a car.

Puggy

Visit site
Hi Gord . Welcome

I have Teleflex Capilano hydraulic steering.

There are two issues here. If yours is just low on oil, you will get a grinding sound and sensation when you turn the wheel, and the wheel will become loose and more turns lock to lock. Top up the reservoir on the top if the helm. You might have to remove the compass to get at it. Fill it to the brim. As the previous poster says, then turn the wheel lock to lock and the level may drop as it fills the system. Do this several times.top up again.

If you have leaks you do need to address them. Hypromarine are good with marine hydraulic systems but you can get the plumbing and other generic parts fairly cheaply from anyone who supplies parts for diggers etc.

If your system has got air down to the pipes or cylinder then you might have to bleed the system through. This is also how you change the oil in the system which can improve feel enormously if it hasn't been done for years. you need someone up top pouring oil into a funnel in the top of the reservoir and ensuring that it never runs empty. you then turn the wheel full lock one way and work out by observing the piston which pipe is supplying oil to make the piston move that way. Loosen the union and get your friend up top to continue to turn the wheel and ensure the oil is topped up. The oil should come out of the loosened Union (get a pot underneath) and continue until you seen fresh oil. Then tighten the joint, turn the wheel all the way the other way, loosen and repeat. You should push new oil through until you see no air bubbles and fresh oil. Not as difficult as it sounds.

Google teleflex Capilano and there is a load of operational information that I am sure is applicable across most hydraulic steering systems.

Good luck

Puggy

NormanS

Visit site
If your system has a manual bypass valve, which is normally fitted to let you use emergency steering, you can open this valve and then just keep turning the wheel. If you do this, any air in the pipework will be chased along to the header tank. Remember to close the valve again before needing to steer. If you have air in the ram, there should be bleed screws at each end of the ram.

Gordy M

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, all sorted now :) well that job anyway, is it some kind of rule with boats fix 1 thing two more break? lol