New Volvo prop preparation

ruvane

www.techno-laser.com
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a new Volvo prop for my 110S saildrive and it's arrived with a shiny black coating - maybe powder coated.

What's the best way to antifoul it using Velox? Should I simply rough it up (maybe 200 grit?) and antifoul or remove altogether down to bare metal and then metal primer before antifouling?

Thanks!

TSB240

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a new Volvo prop for my 110S saildrive and it's arrived with a shiny black coating - maybe powder coated.

What's the best way to antifoul it using Velox? Should I simply rough it up (maybe 200 grit?) and antifoul or remove altogether down to bare metal and then metal primer before antifouling?

Thanks!
I just kept my new one as it was powder coated. It stayed shiny for three seasons gave it a clean off each winter, cleaned any residue off with soap and water, then cleaned with rubbing compound and polished with wax. Sold boat still as new 4 years later. Boat used regularly and Mid season scrub to waterline and prop was routine.

Tranona

Visit site
Velox needs preparation back to bare metal. Easy on bronze but not sure I would do it on a new aluminium prop. I used Hempels Ecopower spray which was fairly effective and preserved the original coating which may well be an epoxy.

johnalison

Visit site
I once tried SilicOne on my prop but didn't get it to stick. It gave a shiny black surface, leading me to wonder if it is something similar (although unlikely), in which case it should be left alone. I would check with the seller or Volvo before proceeding.