New VAT in Greece?

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Not whoopee if that's how you earn your living :) Greece needs all the foreign income it can get at the moment.

In reality I doubt if it will make any difference to the numbers of yachts but the fleets may not be upgraded as often.

tedgorton

Visit site
the new VAT would be applied when yachts are bought/sold or only on charter revenues? I am planning to sell my boat (Bav 36 2011) and buy a new one, both managed by a charter outfit...

ccscott49

Visit site
Not whoopee if that's how you earn your living :) Greece needs all the foreign income it can get at the moment.

In reality I doubt if it will make any difference to the numbers of yachts but the fleets may not be upgraded as often.

Melody,
it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, flotilla sailing and charterers don't bother me in the slightest, quite enjoy the sight of them.
Being based in Gouvia for the winter, I see quite a lot of them!!

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Melody,
it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, flotilla sailing and charterers don't bother me in the slightest, quite enjoy the sight of them.
Being based in Gouvia for the winter, I see quite a lot of them!!

Ok you're forgiven. There's a lot of charter-bashing goes on in this forum so I thought it was another one of 'those bloody charter boats get in the way of us real sailors' type of comments. Charterers typically put far more money into the Greek economy than most of the penny-conscious liveaboards I know (and love) and we need every penny at the moment.

@tedgorten
The 6.5% is the VAT on chartering not on the sale of yachts. There's a special reduced rate for certain types of tourist activity, including marine tourism. I think VAT on sale/purchase of yachts is 23% currently but I'll need to check that as commercial yachts are different from private ones.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks Melody. 23% is pretty steep! if you hear anything further kindly pass it on.

VAT is payable on sale of charter yachts if the boat does not continue in charter and goes to a private owner. The rate is the full rate applicable at the time. It is based either on the sale price (like any other normal sale) or on the written down value, which is usually 50% on a boat that has done the full 6 seasons. Higher value if sold earlier , lower if later. If the boat was bought on a contract where the owner paid a specific %age of the original cost, it is based on that contract cost, including all commissioning, delivery costs etc. It is the responsibility of the charter operator to account for VAT, but for the buyer, even if it is the person who originally financed the boat, it is crucial to get a VAT receipt.

Above observations based on my experience of buying a boat through Kiriacoulis. The handover and paperwork went very smoothly. However, worth checking with your operator how they will handle it as given the current situation in Greece things may well have changed in operational terms, although suspect the principles will be the same.