New sail question..

Robin

Visit site
That is probably the most sensible reply to this post IMO. It is always good to use a local sailmaker with a good reputation, that will help if he needs to visit the boat to take measurements and again if you need after sales service/valeting. Certainly you need to discuss YOUR requirements and expectations and between you to sort out the priorities versus the budget.

The material costs of a new sail are but a part of the whole and very often the much better cloth for the job, rather than the price, will only add 10-15% extra onto the overall cost. Only the buyer can determine if that is a premium worth paying.

Most of the well known sailmakers are capable of making you the best sail for the job and the budget but you do need to tell them what you want. Some will come with big budget names and maybe even their own cloths to offer, but you will be paying a significant premium for the 'name' and other than the emblem on the sail you may have nothing better. Remember that whilst the 'names' make excellent sails they also sometimes make cheapo sails for the new boat market and I've seen a few of those that I considered pretty poor after a couple of seasons.

Finally I hate to hear people say it's only for a cruising boat it doesn't matter, it does! I had a friend with a sail supplied new with a big Westerly that was really crap after just one season. He bought a new one after just 2 years and the boat was transformed, less weather helm, better pointing and faster. The existing sail was pretty bulletproof and might have lasted 15 years but the shape was gone (stretched leech) after just months.

awyatybw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Finally I hate to hear people say it's only for a cruising boat it doesn't matter, it does!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. A good sail, well tuned, will easily add 1/4 knot. That can save an hour or more for a decent costal passage, or even more going over to Brittany. And when an interesting tide awaits at the end of the passage if can mean the difference between a pleasant evening in the pub or an unpleasant slog, or worse.