New members

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Not sure if this has been posted before but I see that the new style RYA membership card has the date you have been a member since.

Is there a reason for this that actually benefits the members or is it a sop to those who like to say how long they have been a member? We all pay the same fee don't we?

david_e

there is no benefit to members so it would appear that it is there in order for the older members to claim bragging rights:)) a friend who plays golf comments on how the older snobbier members are always asking others "are you a new member" to establish a pecking order. complete load of .............. if you ask me.

claymore

Visit site
Computerised hotel management systems keep notes on which room someone might prefer, which newspapaper they take - its part of relationship management and is there to encourage loyalty - it seems that the hotel has made an effort to make the stay special.
It is quite possible that the RYA wants to acknowledge the fact that someone has been a member for however long as a way of saying that they appreciate it. This may stimulate loyaltyand so a tiny reference is made on the card.
I wonder why when the RYA is mentioned - there is always a faction who cannot resist a dig and some daft comment about snobbishness.

regards
Claymore

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Reminded of a couple of friends of mine who played a round of golf at one of the posher clubs. All the way round they were followed by some old buffers who kept braying on about my friends not having enough clubs, the wrong shade of puce for their socks, loud trousers, what's the old place coming to, etc.

On the way up the fairway to the 18th, of my mates went into the rough (no surprise) where he found close to his ball, a magnificent dog turd. This was carefully picked up, and when he (eventually) retrieved his ball from the cup, he gently placed the turd therein.

They didn't bother to stop at the clubhouse for a drink.

david_e

The customer relationship management thing is fine for commercial organisations who can give loyal customers points etc for staying/buying with/from them. It matters not to me if Sainsbugs etc monitor my buying habits and target certain things at me.

The RYA is not the same as these retailers, who, don't need to put your joining date on their cards. I have been with Barcalaycard since the year dot and all they have done over the years is devalue the reward card scheme. My query with the RYA is to question why the need to do this, suspect it is snobbery as nothing else is evident. I am a member and think they offer great value for money.

Rabbie

Visit site
I think its a wee bit like sticking your annual dues sticker side by side with the previous years in a garish long row. What other reason can anyone have for defacing a nice hull with multi-coloured bits of sticky plastic than to say, 'Look how long I've been here'. Big deal!. Or may I be corrected?.

Cornishman

Visit site
Spot on, Claymore. I must have been a member for so long (since ? 1975) that it is not included on my card, so I have nought to swank about!
Who are these twerps who must always criticise the tremendous work done on our behalf by both the permanent staff at Eastleigh plus the hundreds of coaches, YM instructors and examiners around the country?
If they want to know the answer why not ask the RYA instead of posting the question here, especially as they are members. They are awfully nice people at Eastleigh who will be glad to tell you why, I'm sure.

david_e

It is the RYA themselves who make a feature of this in the latest magazine, but, without stating any benefit or reason, so no need to ring Eastleigh. As stated above I think the RYA offer good value for money but that doesnt make them perfect, nor does it you, despite all your years membership, because the golden rule on these forums is not to get personal by calling people names such as 'twerps'.

claymore

Visit site
Twerps

Lovely old word and one which is comparatively innofensive - at least by the standards of modern vocabulary.
Borne of the frustration that both Cornishman and I feel as people who have been paid hands of the RYA - Jim Saltonstall, Rod Carr, Bill Edgerton,John Darbyshire, Stephen Park are all close personal friends of mine and Cornishman is absolutely correct when he talks of the achievements and the mountains of work undertaken on our behalf - much of it unsung. Start posts like this and you will get a response from people like us, call it loyalty if you will....I think that takes us back to where it all began!!

regards
Claymore

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Twerps

Wonder what it derives from tho?

that reminds me must renew my membership

----
have just phoned up eastleigh
took less than a minute.
My card would have member since Oct 2001 not much cache there i fear.

Beer! Now there's a temporary solution.

tome

www.google.co.uk
Re: Twerps

Claymore, you just persuaded me to part with 28 quid after years of resistance- took no time at all via RYA website.

And I don't think Cornishmans use of twerps was inappropriate either! I may grumble about RYA but at least they are doing soemthing for us. Now at least I can grumble from within.

Tom

(member since 09/02)