New lifeboat system

Dyflin

Visit site
I have just come across this video (click on the link to start) on a Norwegian website. It's a short video about a new design for lifeboats on cruise ships. This system is supposed to evacuate the big passenger boat (5,000-10,000) in about 20 minutes if successful. Look out for a report on National Geographic at some stage.

landaftaf

Visit site
mmmm - not exactly a 'new' lifeboat system but an adaptation of an 'old' lifeboat system that has been in operation for decades.

as for passenger use, I am thinking many passies wont be too keen to undergo the experience as the 'g' forces are very noticable during the launch.

also - the vid doesnt show the difficulties of boarding the lifeboat when stowed at the acute angle when in the boarding stage ......

otherwise, interesting to see it suggested for passy vessels, it does away with the need for competant crew to man the traditional type lifeboats during the launching phase /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
mmmm - not exactly a 'new' lifeboat system but an adaptation of an 'old' lifeboat system that has been in operation for decades.

as for passenger use, I am thinking many passies wont be too keen to undergo the experience as the 'g' forces are very noticable during the launch.

also - the vid doesnt show the difficulties of boarding the lifeboat when stowed at the acute angle when in the boarding stage ......

otherwise, interesting to see it suggested for passy vessels, it does away with the need for competant crew to man the traditional type lifeboats during the launching phase /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Free fall systems yes, but never in this way, so I think new is fairly applicable in this case?

I don't think passengers will be too keen on being burned to death either so...

If you watch the video closely you'll see that the traditional free-fall system is completely replaced with a new pod system, which makes these lifeboats unique. You walk into a level compartment which changes angle only when deploying. Commentary would have been useful, but at this stage it's the only explanation I have come across.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Well, just to be pedantic, the G forces are not apparent during the launch, they are apparent one second or so later, when you hit the water!

I was so annoyed with some greybeards being anti free fall that I took my six year old son on a drop; he's now 11 and none the worse.

The problem for elderly and unfit pax is indeed getting into their seats aboard the boat at an angle; if the boat is in the plane of the ship's waterline it will be easy for them to do this, and a giant step forward in safety.