New keel

Tranona

Coppercoating well underway

IMG_20150803_105232.jpg

Shoal draft 1.5m keel

IMG_20150803_105209.jpg

Tec Sew fitted the spray hood today. Fits beautifully. They are also making a tonneau to cover the whole cockpit when boat is not in use. Hopefully will result in the teak in the cockpit suffering less from the ravages of the weather.

IMG_20140101_000213.jpg

Had all the chain out (50m!) to mark it up while it is s till clean. Good exercise hauling it out of the locker, dropping it down on the ground, laying it out in 5m loops for marking and then hauling it up again. All by hand.

Will be finished at the end of the week and ready for launching early next week.

John 32i

Very, very smart looking boat - must be great to have a new boat and start from scratch - lucky you - enjoy !!

wizard

Mine has been in the water for 4 weeks now and is very dark already - so make the most of that lovely colour before it turns :cool:

Tranona

Sadly in a couple of weeks time it will only be the mullet that see it except for (hopefully) the one morning each year it is lifted for a wash!

pvb

I've been antifouling my Cruiser today, for the first time. Got it out of the water at one year old, to check anodes and polish topsides as well. Whilst antifouling, I was musing on whether I should have gone down the Coppercoat route when the boat was new, like you're doing. Although I don't think the cowboys I bought the boat through would have done a good job of Coppercoating, if the rest of their commissioning is anything to go by. I might be tempted to get it Coppercoated one day, as antifouling is such a filthy job.

Incidentally, the saildrive anode was hardly worn, and I've left it for another year. The bowthruster anode and the hull anode were both quite worn, so I've replaced them. I'm now wondering whether it might be an idea to invest in a galvanic isolator. I only connect shorepower when I'm on board, but I was surprised by the extent of erosion of the thruster and hull anodes after only a year.

Tranona

Not sure what the hull anode is connected to. I have not yet fitted one, and not convinced one is needed. never had one on my old boat, but guess I ought to investigate before she is launched. Anodes on my old saildrive lasted at least 5 years on the Med and the new 130 leg I fitted in 2011 is only on its second and still plenty of meat on it. Never on shorepower though. Must remember about the bow thruster anode.

Osmotec have a good reputation, but not cheap. So far very satisfied with the way commissioning is going. Will have to close my eyes when I pay Osmotec on Friday and hope i keep the boat long enough for it to pay off.

pvb

The hull anode on mine is standard fit by Bavaria - a circular disc anode about 50cm aft of the saildrive. I imagine it's connected to mains earth and battery negative, as part of safety grounding. Surprised yours doesn't have one.

Sailfree

Both Osmatec and Tec Sew do a good job and IM HO are not substantially dearer.

My understanding is they quoted Seaventures to fit bow thrusters but Bob the builder was a few hundred pounds cheaper. Mine leaked for 2 yrs in spite of Bob the builder repairing it.

Only fixed in year 3 when I insisted Osmatec repaired it, luckily I held money back so could insist.

Tranona

The hull anode on mine is standard fit by Bavaria - a circular disc anode about 50cm aft of the saildrive. I imagine it's connected to mains earth and battery negative, as part of safety grounding. Surprised yours doesn't have one.

It has the stud, but not the anode.

Tranona

Then fit an anode to the stud

Might well do, but not convinced (yet) that it is necessary. On the list to discuss with the commissioning engineer on Friday. Adding hull anodes to Bavarias is relatively new but might be connected to the steering to protect the aluminium bearing housings. The actual anode is not fitted as standard, but on the options list.

pvb

Might well do, but not convinced (yet) that it is necessary. On the list to discuss with the commissioning engineer on Friday. Adding hull anodes to Bavarias is relatively new but might be connected to the steering to protect the aluminium bearing housings. The actual anode is not fitted as standard, but on the options list.

Mine was fitted as standard. Is it possible your anode might have been removed prior to preparing the hull for Coppercoat, leaving just the stud visible?

Tranona

Mine was fitted as standard. Is it possible your anode might have been removed prior to preparing the hull for Coppercoat, leaving just the stud visible?

No. Was never there. Same with the Easy 9.7 in Cobbs Quay. Clearly remember it being on the optional list.

pvb

No. Was never there. Same with the Easy 9.7 in Cobbs Quay. Clearly remember it being on the optional list.

Can't imagine why Bavaria would go to the trouble of fitting a stud and not put an anode on it. The cost of fitting the stud is probably more than the £10 anode.

scottie

Try and make sure that they move the keel blocks and coat bottom of keel !
We get some growth where they missed or were light in coverage.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Ditto. When the boat goes back in after the annual lift, I usually blag a bit of a/f from the yard (they've always got part tins) and slap a bit on the bottom of the keel while she's in slings.

Tranona

Thanks. On the list for Friday's progress meeting.