New gen anchors fitting a Moody 34

scruff

Visit site
With a degree of trepidation at starting a "What anchor" thread, I'm looking for suggestions as to which new gen anchor will / wont fit on the anchor roller for a moody 34?

Any suggestions?

Crisby

Visit site
Similar dilemma for us at the moment with our Moody and found a few suggestions so far on the MOA website, worth a look.

Chris

Crisby

Visit site
Thanks Vic, we were wondering if it would, the 20 does but the 25 is our preference. Scruff, sorry for the thread hijack!

Chris

Boathook

Visit site
Rocna do templates of their anchors that you download and print onto A4 paper and stick together. I did this for my new anchor and stuck the template onto cardboard. Whilst it is only 2D it does give a good idea of fit. Possibly other manufacturers do the same?

Neeves

Visit site
Rocna do templates of their anchors that you download and print onto A4 paper and stick together. I did this for my new anchor and stuck the template onto cardboard. Whilst it is only 2D it does give a good idea of fit. Possibly other manufacturers do the same?

It seem less common than you would expect - odd as if the anchor fits you might make more sales.

Sorry cannot help with the OPs, specific, question.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Aja

Visit site
Probably can, but only as long as you don't expect to sit to a swinging mooring with the anchor on the bow roller as it will foul the strop.

A 35lb CQR sits on my M346 with the plough part tied to the side well away from the strop.

Donald

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@scruff Ronca sit on most bow rollers the problem is if any thing jet out like your Furler or any stainless which the hoop can catch on .
Has boathook said print out the template .
We do find the tip ends up just a few mm away from the bow if you have it that taught, we have our just tight on the chain then tie the hoop off .

Pasarell

Visit site
Not a direct comparison but maybe some help. I have a 27kg Knox on the bow of my M44 and it fits comfortably as would the 25kg Rocna. Knox can give you detailed measurements so easy enough to check. I didn't bother to make a template as there was clearly space all around.

Quandary

Visit site
I made a 3d cardboard cut out for my 15kg. Spade, great bit of origami and very close to the real thing; been told off since in here that it is too heavy for a M. S31, is 25kg. necessary for a Moody 34?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I made a 3d cardboard cut out for my 15kg. Spade, great bit of origami and very close to the real thing; been told off since in here that it is too heavy for a M. S31, is 25kg. necessary for a Moody 34?

If your plainning to live on your hook the bigger the better , although for 31 foot a 20kg would do the job nicely , we had a 25kg on A M42 and does the job nicely but I would had been better off with A 30Kg as we live on our hook no matter what the weather throw at us .

MM5AHO

Visit site
The question of "will it fit?" is one I get a lot, but people often forget to state where they want it to fit.
This one is definite - fit the bow roller - but there are other places. I'm tempted to answer that I don't know the size of the anchor locker to be able to tell. Like Rocna, we offer templates of the side profile and all dimensions in other directions. A cardboard template is often enough to check fit - the bow roller, anchor locker, deck fitting, stern locker, under berth locker, tiller flat - been asked all these!.
It's also a fact it seems that the same model and make of boat can have different bow rollers, stemheads or anchor locker sizes.