New fashion ? LED lights set into the side of your mast

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.

ip485

They look very good. An anchorage with yachts dressed in lights looks magical.

ribrage

I confess at Xmas when the kids were younger I have put a string of lights up for a week. This however was as tacky as the mood lighting on the spinnaker tower ? the photo album title I suspect will be added too frequently !!

savageseadog

Seems like a reasonable bit of fun nonsense to me. Putting them on while navigating wouldn't be great but have you seen a passenger liner at night?

stuartwineberg

Velsheda has these - saw her down in Ocean Village - but her mast is a genuine hazard to aviation so it makes sense there

ribrage

Yep - recently up close and personal it had a CPA of less than 0.3 of a NM ahead of us at night we were stand on but slowed to increase CPA to a mile all very civilised after a radio call to them

So much for my night vision after that encounter !

GrahamM376

It's better than NO lights at least I knew where he was all night unlike many others in here. Don't think I'd go so far as to say they look good though !

The more lights the better in an anchorage, too many just use the masthead one and it's difficult to judge distance off. Have seen blue leds set in to transoms a couple of times which were effective.