New boats are a bit crap

tcm

Visit site
JohnR's experiences prompted me to say this.

I mean that the spec of a new boat is a bit crap. A car, for example, has a heater for when it's cold, full equipment for driving at night, and all instrumentation that you'd need. It has a decent lock and some have sat-trackers against theft. Soem have medical kits and almsot all have music. It's years and years since you needed to nail a rev-counter on to a car.

Compare this with a boat, which in the UK if you can sleep on it, shiould have a heater, as standard. And radar, as standard. And anchor chains and fenders and mooring lines and flare packs and liferafts. IMHO. Other wise you can't really "use" it, in the same way as without headlights, a car wouldn't be much use until you'd made a visit to the car-chandlers.

ccscott49

Visit site
I totally agree with you! Remember, when japanese cars arrived on the market in the UK, heaters, radios etc as standard, thhe UK car market caught up eventually, albeit too late. We need the same kind of revolution in the baot market, its ridiculous that everything is an optional extra, complete bollocks!

JohnR

Visit site
But would we want all the makes of stuff if it did come as standard. I am prejudiced against Raytheon, which comes as standard on some boats. I want a choice about anchors to suit my cruising ground. Whats the problem about heating - open the engine room hatch? OK I do have reverse cycle aircon and a central heating system.

You mention medical kit. I am required by law to spend about £300 on a medical kit but this requirement doesn't apply to most boats. I have to have a float free EPIRB and a couple of SARTs but these are fitted because of what I will be doing and where I am going - rather like sticking an extended roof rack on a Landrover because you are crossing Africa. We all use boats for different things.

If more boats were of the buy and drive away type might it not encourage people with no experience to do just that? At least the period of fitting out exposes them to some sort of input from the marine industry, MBY, the RYA and people like ourselves when new boat owners ask questions?

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
So lets invite our small differently formed (phew pc!) cousins from across the world to give the marine industries federation a bit of a jolt!...and if they don't respond positively....well they'll deserve what happens to them wont they!!!
<G>
TôMö

claymore

Visit site
Not happy that you cannot buy a Riley, a Francis Barnett, Rudge or Vincent - you are now suggesting the demise of the already struggling british boating industry. Did the post about the Flag of St George mean nothing to you? Did our brave boys die at Culloden in vain, have we come to this?
Oh well - thats life. My datsun 100a was a jolly nice little car with reclining seats that put you off sex in a mini for ever!
Regards
JohnS

Sans Signature

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Inclined to agree. However instead of an arbitrary spec why not offer a 'navigation pack' which included GPS/Radar, etc, and a 'safety pack' which includes lifejackets,liferaft, flares, etc. Simple really.

BarryH

Visit site
New boats are a "bit crap" cos the buying public let the builders get away with it. Until the buyers say "Oi No" the builders will carry on that way cos their margins will stay that bit higher.

Altho with the buying power of some of the bigger builders, the no of units of x,y or z that they buy, the price will drop quiet a bit on the different pices of kit, so they could pass on the savings. But with all things money, they aint going too.

INMHO, all saftey equipement to minimum standard, should be a pre-requisite and included with the boat.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Yep, what you say makes sense, and with the competitive element of the market it would ensure that the cost (which would have to be added) would be lower than if bought individually, and specs would be up to date as well.

oldgit

Visit site
Err Claymore no chance of us having a photo of you wearing your "mini" I need something to frighten the jehovas witness people away.

Hard work never did anyone any good.You die from it.