new boat

simonwalmsley

Visit site
Hi
I am about to buy a boat for the first time and have narrowed it down to a S34 Sealine a Zaffiro 34 cranchi, and a fairline targa 34 I am thinking of buying new although I would have to go used on the fairline
I would be grateful if anybody could give me any pointers and advise as to which one I should be going for

Many Thanks

Simon

tcm

Visit site
hi!

early failine 34's had v-berths in the bow so not very intimate, ahem, tho later changed i believe.

Where will you keep it? Fairlines have good name, sealines a bit less so but still okay. Cranchi are sold in small volumes in the uk, sealines in small volumes in med, fairlines in reasonable volume in both areas.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Would not consider new. Especialy for a first boat. You nearly always want some thing different when you've had some experience. I'd go second hand and a little bit bigger. 35/36 ft. Much better sea keeping and takes alot more hammer with alot less depreciation. Means you can go out in more sorts of weather, feel comfortable and less strain on the pocket. Also afford a proper boat like Fairline or Princess. Try to avoid the V**vo's tho we've all banned them.

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

EME

www.lumishore.com
Like TCM I would also think twice about Zaffiro especially if being bought new. If I remeber correctly it's also oldest design of current Cranchi lineup (?????). If so it means next to change.

having looked at lots of Endurance and Zaffiros in the Med, for some reason I've found some of the lattter looking shabby after a couple of years.

Personally it would be Fairline at this size everytime, pure issue of build quality and tradeability. If it's your first boat , I will just let those who know better recommend buying 2nd hand as 1st boat - 'cos they always do !!

...I wanna boat please..

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
S34 said to be a little light (5300kg) as opposed to T34 and Zaf34 (6100kg). Targa should have slightly better build quality and bigger UK market for resale. If you're still unsure ask about order times for the Cranchi. At one point the dealers were quoting in YEARS. Cranchi appears cheap but this will be reflected in resale value.

If buying the Targa make sure it's got a blue hull. White is also OK if kept in the med. Don't get one with a green hull.

stewart

Visit site
Don't buy new - go second hand and then decide the age size trade off. 40' is a good size for a first one (maybe look at Targa 39?) as it delays the inevitable change for something bigger a year later and the painful depreciation hit which you take if you bought new.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Agree with the others. Dont buy new for first boat as for sure you'll find out you want something different after 1 season. A 2-3 yr old boat will look as good as new if it's been looked after and you'll get most of your money back when you sell it. A new boat could easily lose 15% in its first year
I've also heard that the Sealine S34 is a bit light and bouncy in a chop. Best bet would be a secondhand T34
For this kind of money (£100k+??), you could also stretch to a 5yr old Princess V40 which is a much roomier and more seakindly boat than any you've mentioned