New Boat on East coast?

Gumpy

Visit site
Seeing that, due to work commitments, its getting more and more difficult to go anywhere in the barge my wonderful wife has had the idea that we get another boat.
As she likes the East Coast thats decided, what we cant decide is what type of sailing boat.
Needs to be under 5K, something we could spend the night on and easy to sail as its been a while.
Are moorings easy to get and roughly how much are they for a small boat?
Or do I go for a trailer sailer?

Your thoughts

Julian

MoodySabre

Visit site
A huge choice of 1970s built like a tank boats for that money.

Swinging moorings in Bradwell creek were £300 last year. Adminstered by Bradwell Outdoors Centre. These are very sheltered and not out in the chop. You could also enquire at Marconi YC for mooring up nearer Osea. Moorings too at Heybridge.

The decision of location is often dictated as to where you are coming from - Herts on your bio is presumably home. Quite a few from Hemel and St Albans and further west in Bradwell. If the A120 is more useful then that takes you north of the Blackwater to Mersea or Brightlingsea. The experts there can advise.

ianc1200

Visit site
Julian

Join the club! As Roger says there is a big choice. I'd get a boat to suit cheap moorings, ie bilge or centreboard, you might like to consider the ability to easily drop the mast - a trip up the Chelmer & Blackwater would then be possible. I should be at Bradwell next Saturday so you could see what living space you get in realality in a 22' sailing boat (send a pm if interested). If I was to get another small boat I'd try to ensure it had an inboard diesel & bilge keels plus a mast in a tabernacle.

I assume you didn't manage to get Parglena down to the EC this year.

IanC

DanTribe

Visit site
I suggest you list the things that are most important for you, in order of preference. For example :~
Sailing performance, interior comfort, shoal draught, ease of maintenance, attractiveness.
My order would be :~
1/ Performance, I sail for fun, mustn't be boring,
2/ Attractiveness, may be able to put up with an ugly woman but not an ugly boat.[No personal experience of ugly women of course]
3/ Shoal draught would be handy but not at expense of performance, so centreboarder before bilge keelers for me.
4/ Interior comfort. Pretend you'r camping.
5/ Maintenance lastly, this can be fun so they say, or at least good therapy.

So for £5k, what about a GK 24, Seamaster Sailer, Seal 22, Stella, for starters. Lots more in that ilk.
Moorings vary considerably but an all tide swinging mooring at Burnham about £2 per metre per week.
Good luck.

Dan
PS
Incidentally, I notice from your bio that you aquired a "narrow boat wife".
Is that a narrow wife or one specially suited for a narrow boat?

Gumpy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, I notice from your bio that you aquired a "narrow boat wife".
Is that a narrow wife or one specially suited for a narrow boat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh the joys of a missed comma....
Actually that one is now an ex wife, very soon after I got the narrow boat.
Thanks for all the ideas I will complile a list

Julian

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
See you had a Cox 22. Was that the sailing boat or the motor sailer? Used to have a Cox 21. Nice sailing boat - she was up for sale again at Morgan marine in Brightlingsea but looked rather uncared for by her last owner.

[image]
Soulmate.jpg
[/image]

Gumpy

Visit site
It was the motor sailer. To be honest it was my father in laws but as he was in his late 70s at the time his wife wouldnt let him use it unless I was there. It could have been the cox that made my then wife not want a sailing boat as it was used in all weathers and after one very rough trip she never went on the boat again.
J

MrCramp

Visit site
How did the Cox perform? Did she sail reasonably well and did she roll much in lumpy seas? Have got a Swin Ranger project which is almost identical to the Cox and I am wondering how she will perform....when I have completed her.