Need to borrow a sextant

doris

Visit site
I am doing the AZAB and am already hugely over budget. One of the requirements is to carry a sextant, something that I will hardly ever use again. Should anyone out there have one that they could lend me for June/July it would be terrific help and v. much appreciated. To anticipate the usual barrage, I do know how to use the damn thing!

bedouin

Visit site
I notice that Compass24 will sell you a new one for £12.95.

Okay - so it's made of cardboard and about as much use as a chocolate teapot. But it is a sextant and so probably nominally fits within the rules.

Opinionated

Visit site
Just don't get it wet!!

Use a nail in a board and a ruler, apply to Nige for instruction leaflet.

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).

chriscallender

Visit site
Davis Mk3 plastic one is about £45 new from eg Seamark Nunn and would be adequate for emergency navigation as well as waterproof!

Chris

doris

Visit site
Many thanks

I did not realise that the Mk 3 was around still and £126 for the Mk 15 seemed money straight out the window. Who are Seamark Nunn by the way? I presume the Mk 3 will be available if I ring round the chandlers etc?

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Many thanks

Seamark Nunn are a chandler who sell on-line, I've used them in the past and they provide a good service. I've you're considering buying plastic then the Ebbco is worth a look - it has a good reputation (for plastic).

aod

Visit site
No you don\'t!

Where in the rules does it say that?
It's a recommendation that you carry a sextant it's not compulsory.

What boat are you on so that we can follow your progress?

doris

Visit site
The Chairman

I was chatting to Colin Drummond, the chairman of the Race Committee and he mentioned that although they do not scrutineer they did the odd boat a couple of races ago and found someone without a sextant. Rather than disqualify him they gave him a time penalty. It is in the rules somewhere. Suppose I had better go thru them a bit more

bedouin

Visit site
Re: The Chairman

I wonder if the rules have changed. In the latest version of ORC special regs a sextant is only recommended rather than mandatory. However I think it is only recently that GPS became compulsory, so perhaps they changed the requirement for a sextant at the same time

aod

Visit site

Beduin is probably right. Two AZABs ago was 95 and a lot has changed since then but I have looked through the rules and I can't find a requirement that a sextant is a must have.
Save you some money and some angst by not having one. It's a fantastic race so good luck I sincerely hope that you do well and have a great time of it.

Stingo

Visit site

heard a strong rumour that you too are doing AZAB?. Oh yeh, wasn't a rumour because the words came right out of your mouth after pouring half a keg into your face... So have things changed?

peeing.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

G

Oi ...... less of that !

Sahara desert
Calculator
Watch to GMT
Metre ruler
June 21 in the morning ......

Tell me your lat and long approx.

Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

bedouin

Visit site
AZAB

Just over a year ago I had dreams of doing AZAB this year myself, but it wasn't to be - something to do with not being made redundant when I hoped. Anyway Doris seems so keen to enter that she'll be racing on two boats at the same time - now that will be a record!

doris

Visit site
Input much appreciated.

You chaps are quite right, as usual, the thing is only reccomended but having now found out cheap a Mk3 can be maybe we will have one on board anyway. David Hand's suggestion of West Marine was a bit of an eye opener as it showed just how cheap everything is in the US compared with this county.
By the way Bedouin, good spot !

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Input much appreciated.

Be warned - westmarine prices are not quite as cheap as they seem. If shipping it over to the UK you have to add VAT, duty and a handling charge - approximate $1=£1, but you might still get a shock on small orders.

doris

Visit site
US prices

I quite agree about the hidden extras if one buys on line and has it sent over but if one is over there with a suitcase...............Also I am simply jealous of the ability of those living out there to buy things so much cheaper.